VMware Horizon Community
Valley_wind
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon client 8.0 got display flicker when tried to connect cloud Win10 desktop in Big Sur

I have upgraded my MacBook Pro 2019 to Big Sur 11.1 and need to use Horizon client to connect my company Win10 cloud desktop. But it's always flickering(bright/dark in seconds) in full screen mode. I have to exit fullscreen mode to work. It's terrible for my daily work. May I know is there any upgrade for new version Horizon Intel Big Sur client which can resolve this issue? Thanks.

Horizon client version: 8.0.0 (16531451)

0 Kudos
34 Replies
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is this still going on? Can you reach out to your Horizon Admin to open a support ticket with VMware? We will need logs to diagnose the problem.

0 Kudos
BrianXiang
Contributor
Contributor

Hi VMWare support,

I have exact the same issue after upgrading to macOS Big Sur version 11.1. I have VMWare Horizon Client 

Version 2012, Build 8.1.0 (17353466)

I use it to logon to my windows machine at work. The flicking issue happens at Full Screen mode. I have multiple screen, and I need use Full Screen mode to use my multiple screens. So the workaround suggested in another forum by going to Windowed mode is not a solution to me. 

Can you please raise a defect and have it fixed in the next update release?

Thanks,

Brian 

0 Kudos
tcprgqTCrg
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Just adding I have the same issue. Horizon Client 8.1.0, Big Sur 11.2. Tried various combinations of the Blast settings which didn't improve the experience. Exiting full screen does fix the issue but would be great if this could be fixed.

0 Kudos
tcprgqTCrg
Contributor
Contributor

Following up, I was able to fix the issue (not sure how long for yet) by resetting NVRAM on my MBP. Maybe this can give VMware a clue on how to fix it..

0 Kudos
kli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You can try turning off "Automatic graphic switching".
On your mac, go to "System Preferences" -> "Battery"
on the left side pane you'll see "Battery" and "Power Adapter"
click each one and uncheck "Automatic graphics switching"

0 Kudos
Wind_Blowing
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is still there on VMware horizon client 8.2.0. The desktop is flickering (bright/dark/bright/dark...) every 20 to 30 seconds or when something is loading. When someone from VMWare is going to fix it ? It is impossible to work with it. Changing the automatic graphic switching did not work for me.

Is there another workaround ?

(VMWare Horizon Client 8.2.0 on Mac OS Big Sure 11.4)

0 Kudos
FyreWater
Contributor
Contributor

I have this issue as well.  It happens on secondary monitor, a widescreen Dell.  Laptop Monitor does not flicker. 

2019 16" Macbook Pro
macOS Big Sur 11.5.2
VMWare Horizon Client 5.5 (18035016)

Logs attached. 

0 Kudos
tcprgqTCrg
Contributor
Contributor

It would be nice if VMware started taking this issue more seriously. It makes the Horizon client unusable in full screen.

I'm running the current latest version of the Horizon client, 8.3.1, the latest version of Mac OS, 11.6, and I still have the issue. I have two external displays, it only ever happens on the same display, regardless of whether it is connected by HDMI or DisplayPort. The display is an ASUS ROG Swift PG278QR. Before upgrading to Big Sur, this was not an issue

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Would you please have a check whether below would help?

"Go to System preference ---> Accessibility --> Display ---> Cursor size,   and then enlarge size of cursor to second line"

tcprgqTCrg
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to have actually stopped the flickering!

0 Kudos
tcprgqTCrg
Contributor
Contributor

I spoke too soon, the flickering is back

0 Kudos
jm1k3rn
Contributor
Contributor

Please help us vmware.

I can't focus on my work because of flickering.

Only flickers when fullscreen mode in HDMI connected monitor, not in my macbook pro monitor.

Please... Please......

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry about that.

Please have a try of the below WA:

(1) Go to System preference ---> Accessibility --> Display ---> Cursor size, and then enlarge size of cursor to third line, apply. Close the preference window, and check whether issue occur. And then repeat the steps to change the cursor size to second line. 

If (1) does not help, please try the next:

(2) Go to System preference ---> Displays, choose "Scaled", and then select some resolution other than "default". Then, where you chose "Scaled", change back to "Default". 

If (2) does not help, please try the next:

(3) Go to System preference ---> Displays, choose Arrangement, and check on the "Mirror Displays" in the right bottom of the window, in the popped up window, switch the "Optimize for" to a different choice for example your external display name. Then check whether issue occur. And then change the Mirror setting to uncheck to back to your default.

If above all do not help, please ask your administrator to create Support Ticket.

Thanks & Regards

Zhenghua

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Burbigo1,

What's your monitor band?

Have you tried the WA above?

Usually enlarge the cursor size would resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
JanBolk
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem.

VMware Horizon Client: 2111 Build 8.4.0 (18968281)

MacBook Pro 2020

Display: Lenovo G34w-10 connected via HDMI cable and an USB C-Hub

Let me know, if you need further information. 

0 Kudos
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Has anyone on this thread opened a support ticket with VMware? We can't reproduce this yet and it would be great to get logs and more info on your setup. 

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

JanBolk,

Have you tried the WA mentioned in above loop such as scale the system cursor size etc.?

Thanks & Regards

Zhenghua

0 Kudos
Zhenghua1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Kristina,

There were two SRs filed for this bug, please refer https://bugzilla.eng.vmware.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2761383#c18 and https://bugzilla.eng.vmware.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2204838#c23 

Both were marked as resolved by below WA:

Go to System preference ---> Accessibility --> Display ---> Cursor size

and then enlarge size of cursor to second line

Do you think it's necessary to file KB for this?

Thanks & Regards

Zhenghua

0 Kudos
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This may be a general issue with Big Sur: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/654876?page=6

0 Kudos