VMware Horizon Community
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon agent 7.13 fails install on Windows 7

Hello, 

We recently successfully upgraded our Horizon connection servers to 7.13 (from 7.8). However, I am having difficulty getting the 7.13 agent installed on my windows 7 golden image.  I have successfully completed this on my Windows 10 image.  

The install progresses along and all of a sudden it says "rolling back" and the green progress bar goes backwards. 😞

We are running Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64-bit.

Has anyone else had this issue?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please check whether an installation log file exists with details regarding the failed installation.

André

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes it does.  Shall I post the entire log?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

If you can't find out what may be causing the issue, then yes, please post the complete log file (unless it contains data that you don't want to disclose).
Please do not paste the log, but compress/zip the log file, and attach the .zip archive to your next reply.

André

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here is the log file compressed.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

According to the log file "Did not find QFE hotfix matching KB2685813" there's an issue with this Hotfix.
Either it's not properly installed, or it cannot be detected as already installed.

I can't tell you for sure how to fix this, but what you may try (after taking a snapshot) is to download the hostfix from https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=Windows%207%20x64%20KB2685813 and install it manually. If it tells you that it's already installed, try uninstalling it. Make sure that you reboot the VM after installing/uninstalling the Hotfix, then try to install the Horizon Agent again.

André

RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I did see that error, downloaded the hotfix matching KB265813 and attempted the install.  I received a message "This update was not applicable to your computer". I then looked for the update under Windows Update --> Review Update History and do not see KB2685813. 😞

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just a guess, but maybe worth a try:

1. create a new directory, e.g. "C:\temp\KB-Hotfix"
  2. copy the "windows6.1-kb2685813-x64_22a969bada171678b0936bb320e6a7778e8adc07.msu" to this directory
  3. open an elevated command prompt (run as Administrator)
  4. extract the msu:
    expand -F:* C:\temp\KB-Hotfix\windows6.1-kb2685813-x64_22a969bada171678b0936bb320e6a7778e8adc07.msu C:\temp\KB-Hotfix
  5. install the extracted cab:
    dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\temp\KB-Hotfix\Windows6.1-KB2685813-x64.cab
  6. reboot the VM, and try to install the Horizon Agent

If this doesn't help run sfc /scannow to see whether it finds issues.

André

RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I followed your instructions to extract the msu which was successful and then attempted to install the extracted cab.  Received the message below:

C:\Users\Administrator>dism.exe /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\KB-Hotfix\W
indows6.1-KB2685813-x64.cab

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.1.7601.24499

Image Version: 6.1.7601.24499

Error: 87

The add-package option is unknown.
For more information, refer to the help by running DISM.exe /?.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From what I found on the Internet, this error could be related to a stopped service.
Did you check the C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log for hints related to the error message yet.

Amdré

0 Kudos
RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The only thing I could see that was an error was "unable to create sessionID". Log attached.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What I found on the Internet is that people with similar issues had the "Windows Modules Installer" services set to "Disabled". Please enable the service (i.e. set it to e.g. "Manual") any try the installation again.

André

RachelW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great!  

I set the service to Manual and was able to install the Horizon Agent 7.13.  YAY!!  Thank you!