VMware Horizon Community

Horizon Win10 logon black screen delay

I'm building a 1909 Win 10 gold image vm and i'm running into an issue of a black screen delay when windows begins to login.


Horizon 7.10

DEM 7.11

1.  Hosts are using physical Nvidia GPUs.

2.  Ran the OSOT allowing Windows updates along with a couple apps (calculator etc.)  Everything else is pretty much default using the Windows 10 1909-2004 template.

3.  I'm currently running an earlier build in production, during logon, all i see is waiting with a delayed spinning circle, which eventually goes to Preparing Desktop (circle runs smoother in this stage) followed by an immediate Windows desktop.  In the current 1909 build that i'm getting prepared for production, it goes through at logon with applying vmware dem, gpos etc displayed on the screen, once thats complete it goes to preparing for a few seconds and goes to a solid black screen that is delayed by like 15 seconds...  it also seems that the startup apps take longer to start in this build post optimizations as well.  Has anyone experienced this?

4.  Lastly, everything else is great other than the dreaded start menu click delaying for 3 seconds or so , sometimes its immediate, but most times there is a noticable delay with the start button as well as Windows search.  Is there anything that addresses this outside of the OSOT that i'm missing?

Thanks for any insight!

3 Replies

Try using this...

Import this with DEM in the registry settings and you can mess around with the setting within as well. Try 0 at first, then increase to 2 and give it a shot. That should get rid of the black screen delay.




Did you ever find a solution?  Startup apps are taking longer, and the registry entry isn't helping.

0 Kudos

I started from scratch and completely rebuilt a new VM using the 1171 Windows 10 and Server 2016 template.

There are a few things i did differently on my new built which have seemed to help in my case.  I noticed beforehand the logon would be quicker, but that black screen would stick there for like 20-30 seconds in my case along with startup items taking longer to startup.

The 3 things that i looked into.


1.  I removed 'Shorten timeout of desktop session switch' from the template before optimizing.

2.  I removed 'Enable verbose status messages' before optimizing.

Scheduled Tasks

3.  I removed 'Provisioning Logon' before optimizing.  I have no clue what this did, but anything that related to 'logon' i removed.

Deleted The StubPath value (not the entire key) from the below locations

Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{2C7339CF-2B09-4501-B3F3-F3508C9228ED}\StubPath

Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{6BF52A52-394A-11d3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}\StubPath

Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}\StubPath

Delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\>{22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95}\StubPath

I'm not sure if it will work for you, but that's what i've done so far.

0 Kudos