VMware Horizon Community
nikdamani
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View administrator console - Security Gateway column is blank

Hello,

I built a couple of new Server 2016 View Connection servers with Horizon View version 7.3.2.

I also have one older connection server with View version 5.3.7 and its Server 2008.

When I login in to the administrator console of 5.3.7, go to Monitoring and Remote Sessions, I can see that the users are connected and also see the Security Gateway that they are connected through in the 'Security Gateway' column. But when I log on to the administrator console of 7.3.2, go to Monitoring and Sessions, I can see that the users are connected but the Security Gateway column is empty so I am not able to tell which server they are connected through.

I have checked the settings and I believe it is all correct but cannot figure out why that column is empty.

I have attached a screen shot, in which the left column shows the Client ID and those are the users that are connected but the Security Gateway column is blank.

Has anyone encountered this issue or someone know what is going on?

I would appreciate it if someone can shed some light on this issue.

Than you very much.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Compare the connection servers settings in the 5.3.7 and 7.3.2 environment under View Configuration>Servers>Connection Servers. It's sounds like you have the HTTP(S) Secure Tunnel/PCoIP Secure Gateway/Blast Secure Gateway enabled in 5.3.7 but not in 7.3.2. If you are using UAG then you cannot enable the tunnel.

0 Kudos
nikdamani
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply but I have already compared the settings for both the servers.

I compared it again and they have not been changed.

Could there be anything in the registry settings of the connection servers?

By the way, what is UAG?

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unified Access Gateway (UAG) is a appliance used for secure connections to Horizon virtual desktops. It's the replacement for Security Servers.

What is the configuration of the tunnel on the connection servers in both environments?

0 Kudos
nikdamani
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again.

We are not using UAG.

On both the servers, the HTTPs Secure Tunnel is unchecked.

PCoIP Secure Gateway is checked with the IP address of the connection server:4172.

The Blast Secure Gateway is unchecked. I am assuming this is what you are asking?

These are not paired with Security Servers. Hope that helps.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
nikdamani
Contributor
Contributor

Does this have anything to do with version 7.3.2?

I have not read anything about it in their release notes.

Could this have anything to do with the firewall?

I am really stumped?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I never used 5, but I know in 6 and 7 that column always showed the paired security server and now the unified access gateways. It is meant to show you what server the initial connection is coming through, if your connecting directly to a connection server I believe its supposed to be blank.

0 Kudos
nikdamani
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply @sjesse.

There are clients who are connected through Security server also but that is also not showing up. That is whats baffling me.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

What are you calling a security server/gateway and what do you expect there? I'm pretty sure that is only populated if you connect to another server like a Security Server(which is a separate windows install) or the Unified Access Gateway. I may be wrong as I've never tried enabling the security gateways on a connection server without a security server or UAG in use. Most documentation and example for internal connections let the clients connect directly to the desktop, and external connections are now recommended to use Unified Access Gateways.

I just reconfigured by lab and its blank for me as well, so I suggest asking support, since if its meant to show the connection server in these cases its a bug they need to fix. Look at this if you haven't seen it, it talks about the different options, you are mentioning using a tunneled connection.

Network Ports in VMware Horizon 7: VMware Horizon 7 version 7.2

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I can confirm that the Security Gateway column is populated by the UAG. I believe the Security Gateway column will also be populated if the HTTP(S) Secure Tunnel is enabled on the connection server but I don't currently have an environment I can test that with.

0 Kudos
nikdamani
Contributor
Contributor

@BenFB I have tried enabling the Security Tunnel on the Connection Server but no luck.

@sjesse  I have Security server paired with Connection server in my environment also and stand alone Connection server also. We are connecting through PCoIP.

I would like to see which users are connected through which server, in case we have to do maintenance on the servers. Just being picky about it. Haha.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Whats the pcoip blast security gateway set to for the one paired with a security server, is it the connection server or the security server. It should be the security server to make sure the connections get tunneled through the security server, if its set to the connection server even if you connect through a security server the pcoip connection go through the connection server. Its the only way I can think of that would not have that field fill in, I get what you mean.

0 Kudos
nikdamani
Contributor
Contributor

CS_issue_1.PNG

Attached a screenshot. Its the Connection server that is paired with a Security server.

Now on the standalone Connection server, the HTTPs Secure Tunnel and Blast Secure Gateway is unchecked. Also the PCoIP Secure Gateway is pointing to the server itself.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
nikdamani
Contributor
Contributor

Correction:

In the above screenshot, the HTTPs Secure Tunnel and the Blast Secure Gateway is Security server and NOT Connection server.

0 Kudos