VMware Horizon Community
Super6VCA
Expert
Expert

Horizon View Setup/Design Question

We are going to be ramping up our VDI infrastructure in the near future and I have a couple design questions.  Currently we have a three host environment and the desktops are inter-mingled with all the server as far as managing them is concerned.  We purchased a new host (for a total of 4) and I'm curious if, with enough resources, would it be better to place 2 hosts in a different cluster with just the View desktops, and with it's own vcenter or to leave them inter-mingled with the existing servers?  We will have a total of about 75 desktops and about 60 servers.  I was thinking of using two hosts for the View setup and 2 hosts for the servers but wasn't really convinced that's what should happen.  Could anyone weigh in on what might make more sense?  Any comments or suggestions are welcome.  Thanks!!

Perry

We are running View 6 on ESXi 5.5

Thank you, Perry
0 Kudos
2 Replies
roneng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would say mix them, cause if you create 2 different cluster , you HA domain consists just of 2 hosts.

that means, in case of esxi crash or maintenance just one esxi will carry the load.

Also HA calculation is not that efficient with 2 nodes clusters.

My 2 cents

TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Although it is currently recommended to have a management pod and then have your servers and VDI's in separately managed resource pods.  this would be over kill for four nodes.  I personally would keep them as they are mingled up until you get to a position were you have approximately 10 to 11 nodes. this is where I would start to look at management and resource pods.

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410