VMware Horizon Community
PhilScott
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View Server Error - Cannot connect to vCenter Server

Hello,

Looking for some help with an installation I am doing to evaluate VMWare Horizon View.

I have got as far as adding my vCenter server to the VMWare Horizon View Administrator web interface in the server configuration however I cannot get it to connect.

I get 2 slightly different errors depending if I specify the FQDN or IP address for the connection. Using the FQDN the error states:

Server Error - Cannot connect. Review the settings and confirm server and network status.

If I use the IP address the error states:

Server Error - A connection problem occurred between View Connection Server, View Composer, and vCenter Server. Check that all the services are running and the ports and URLs are entered correctly.

(Note I am not using View Composer)

I have checked the usual stuff as per VMware KB: Cannot connect to vCenter Server and from what I can see everything is fine - my View machine can ping the vCenter and the user credentials are correct, just cannot get it to connect through View.

My setup is:

1 x ESXi

1 x vCenter (VMWare linux appliance)

1 x Server 2008 Active Directory and DNS

1 x Server 2008 VMWare View Connection Server

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Phil

0 Kudos
14 Replies
mantelo
Contributor
Contributor

Hay Phil,

I have same problem with add vCenter Server over VMWare Horizon View.Did you solve the problem with vCenter Server?

Regards,

Uroš

0 Kudos
PhilScott
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Uroš,

I did get past this issue a while back although I can't remember exactly what the issue was - probably something to do with the domain.

Perhaps if you describe your setup and what you have done thus far I may be able to assist?

Kind regards,

Phil

0 Kudos
mantelo
Contributor
Contributor

I use virtualbox and inside virtual box i have two virtual machine Server 2008 64bit.My first virtual machine is active directory dns,microsoft sql 2008 server.Second machine i have installed Vmware Horizon View.I have test domena home.com and I can ping ip and hostname first(AD server) and second server(vmware).Need I maybi install ESXi host for my lab?

0 Kudos
PhilScott
Contributor
Contributor

So you only have two virtual machines in total?

My understanding is you would really need my setup listed in the first post as a minimum, to get up and running with view: (my particular use case was to test PCoIP so this may differ with yours)

1 x ESXi

1 x vCenter (VMWare linux appliance)

1 x Server 2008 Active Directory and DNS

1 x Server 2008 VMWare View Connection Server

You already have the 2 Server 2008 machines but you would need an ESXi host, and a vCenter Server that is managing that ESXi host.

0 Kudos
mantelo
Contributor
Contributor

Ok.I have installed ESXi host 5.5 and i see this ESXi host in domain server 2008.Now, I would like to add vCenter server .I attach picture and you will see what to happen when i tray add vCenter Server.

vCenterServer.png

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I would recommend to follow this guide:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/view/VMware-View-Evaluators-Guide.pdf

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
PhilScott
Contributor
Contributor

I would follow Linjos advice and have a read of the evaluators guide.

You specifically mentioned that you have installed ESXi which is good - but have you also installed vCenter Server in a Windows environment, or are you using the Linux vCenter appliance that VMware supply? I would assume the IP 192.168.221.131 is the IP of your vCenter Server? Can you see the vCenter server in your domain too?

If you are still struggling then take a look at this KB referenced in my original post:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102913...

0 Kudos
mantelo
Contributor
Contributor

This is unbelievably.I still have problem with vCenterServer.I can ping everything (hostname and IP).what i am doing wrong? Last time when i playing with vmware product i am correct a certificate.This

is now working but problem is with vCenterServer deploy.Do you have any idea?

is nvcenter.png

0 Kudos
PhilScott
Contributor
Contributor

Please see my last post and answer the queries there.

Also when you say "This is now working but.." - which part are you now referring to as working?

Please can you give an overview of your setup as I did in Post 4?

0 Kudos
mantelo
Contributor
Contributor

My configuration:

I use VMware Workstation 10.0 and i have installed:

-ESX 5.2 IP 192.168.221.132 hostname:esx

-AD Server 2008 R2 IP 192.168.221.130 hostname:server2008

-Vmware Server 2008 R2 ip 192.168.221.134 hostname:vmware2

I see Vmware Server and ESX in my Domain Controller.I can login over Vmware vSphere Client to ESX.

I would like to ADD vCenterServer in my Vmware horizon view Administrator console and her is problem.

I attach two picture.

config.png

config2.png

0 Kudos
PhilScott
Contributor
Contributor

From what you have listed I can't see that you actually have a vCenter Server.

-Vmware Server 2008 R2 ip 192.168.221.134 hostname:vmware2 - I assume this is your VMware Horizon View Server and not a vCenter Server.

My advice would be to download the vCenter Linux Appliance that VMware provide from the website, configure that to manage your ESX host, and then add it to your VMware Horizon View Server.

0 Kudos
acruizu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having exactly the same issue.

When I tried to add the vcenter server I exactly the same message.

Checking at the Windows Logs I found this:

ADMIN_VC_ADD_FAILED

DOMAIN\user failed to add VC server https://vcenter:443/sdk

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello Phil,

Please have a look at below KB article and make sure you have given proper permission for the View administrator user in vCenter.

Link - kb.vmware.com/kb/2085142

Regards,

Nagesh Bhatt

0 Kudos
erickbm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Wow, this is an old thread.

Erick Marshall vExpert 15/16, VCAP-DTA, VCPx3, MCSE, MCITPx2, MCSAx2, MCTSx3, MCPx2, A+, Network+, UCP
0 Kudos