VMware Horizon Community
walkerjg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Horizon View Desktop naming patterns

I am using Horizon view 6.1.1 (we will be upgrading soon).  In our windows 10 desktop pool, I configured a naming patters of "Desktop-{n:fixed=2}".  Yesterday I deleted the inventory of VDI workstations using view administrator.  I expected the Pool to recreate the workstations and name them with the same name (including the same naming pattern), but this did not happen.  It starting naming the machines with newer numbers for the naming pattern.

For ex.

Machines I deleted:

Desktop-01

Desktop-02

Desktop-03

Desktop-04

Desktop-05

Machines re-provisioned by the desktop pool:

Desktop-06

Desktop-07

Desktop-08

Desktop-09

Desktop-10

I'm just looking to understand how the naming pattern works in terms of what happens when you delete the inventory of machines (via view administrator) and the pool re-provisions desktops based on the pool configuration.  Does view scan the existing names and try to fill in the missing gaps in the numbers or start naming at the lowest available number?  I couldn't find anything in the Admin guide.  Any information is appreciated

0 Kudos
1 Solution
9 Replies
walkerjg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That solves my problem, Thanks.

Do you know if this also helps when I pre-create the computer objects in the AD Domain?  I pre-created the computer objects in my AD Domain, but the VDI provisioning is failing to join them to the domain with the name of a computer object that already exists.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

On the Guest Customization tab of the pool settings do you have "Allow reuse of pre-existing computer accounts" checked? The account you use for Composer will need the correct AD permissions to do this.

0 Kudos
walkerjg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We are not currently using composer.  Is there another way to see this setting?

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Are you using full clones?

0 Kudos
walkerjg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes I am using Full Clones.

I just tested the settings you mentioned above for the View Desktop Pool.  It works.  It now reuses the old computer names.  Thank You.

However the machines fail to join the AD domain with the preexisting object.  I tried to reset the computer objects, no dice.  I also tried to deploy a VM manually from the Win10 VDI template and it wont join the domain with the preexisting object.  I then logged into the local administrator of the Win10 VDI and manually tried to rename the computer and join it to the domain as the preexisting object, but that failed as well.

I finally tried to rename the Win10 VDI to a preexisting object and that worked (of course because I did not attempt to join the domain).  Then I rebooted the Win10 VDI and tried to join the domain as the preexisting object.  This time it was able to join.  Although I'm still not sure why it doesn't work any other way.

Obviously I want this to be an automated process, but I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Does the account that you are using to join the domain have the correct permissions? The documentation indicates that it's possible to do that if you rebuild a failed machine.

Rebuild a Virtual Machine in a Full-Clone Desktop Pool

0 Kudos
walkerjg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the documentation.  I'm still not sure why its not working.  I'll keep trying.

If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears.  Either way, Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Good luck! I don't have any full clones in my environment to test with. If you have a support contract file a SR and they should be able to help with it.

0 Kudos