VMware Horizon Community
Tmodderkolk
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View Client auto enable display scaling

Dear all,

I am searching for a way to auto enable display scaling within the Horizon View Client.

This option is only visible when a view client is started from hardware that's supports 4k etc.

by default this option is unchecked. I am looking for a method to check this box for 'Enable auto scaling' automatically.

I searched for regkeys or ini settings etc but I cannot find a thing.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Tim

ps. The View agent that I am using is version  4.0.1.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
srodenburg
Expert
Expert

I've been asking the same question.

By the way, your View Agent Version is **really** old. Are you sure it works properly with the OS (i assume Win 8 or 10) ?

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry there is no way to do this. The reason is that we were going to enable it by default but then late in the release had to disable it due to some crashes we saw when connecting to vDGA (or maybe GRID?) backends due to the unconventional resolutions that display scaling can request.

I will file a bug internally to request support for a GPO or registry value to set the default value. Hopefully we could put it in for our Q3 release.

Tmodderkolk
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for replying.. We'll have to wait for the update then.

besides that, display scaling is not working very well. The UI is a bit 'granular'. I tested it on a MS Surface PRO 4 and a HP Elite X2. Both 4k screens.

as a workaround we've now adjusted the standard zoom of Windows 10 to 150%.

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

‌This feature is specifically scaling a lower resolution, 100% DPI session. So it is expected to look a bit grainy.

The goal for us is definitely to sync DPI settings, but this was a short-term solution to lessen the pain in the meantime.

0 Kudos
Alpione
Contributor
Contributor

Very glad to hear that you're working on this.  Just got a Dell XPS 13 on Windows 10 with the high-rez screen and the scaling is legible but very fuzzy.  Came from a Macbook Pro where it's perfect, so it was a jolt.

I'm not usually that guy asking for ETAs, but I use this daily for work so it's a major thing for me.  Any ETA on "syncing DPI settings" as you mention?  Any betas available?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
massmans
Contributor
Contributor

We fixed this issue by adjusting this registry entry with a GPO.   See attached.    This is set to 1 by the view agent install.

0 Kudos