VMware Horizon Community
wmiller203405
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View 7.9 4K Monitor Poor Performance

Hi Everyone,

We are currently testing a new horizon view deployment and can not get good performance with single 4k monitors. Youtube playback is horrible and general VM performance is laggy on anything above a 1080P panel. We have run the optimization tool and are currently using Blast Extreme. I have tried pretty much every combination of settings for the Horizon client as well as changing GPO settings for the Blast Protocol. We have also tried PcoIP and received similar results. We also submitted a case with VMware and had an engineer verify our setup and he stated this was normal behavior when using 4K panels. At this point I am thinking we are limited by CPU clock speed but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. We also tried using vGPU and grid with a Tesla T4 card and still got very poor performance. I have listed out out cluster specs along with the VM specs we are using for Horizon View. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cluster Specs:

4 Node vSAN cluster

10GB Networking

All Flash Storage

ESXi 6.7U2

Host Specs:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz

200GB Ram Per Host

All Flash Storage

VDI VM Specs:

4v vCPU

16GB Ram

VM Version 14

VMware Tools 10341

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wmiller203405
Contributor
Contributor

I also forgot to mention we are testing with Windows 10 1607 and we are using linked clones.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

What are you testing, just full screen video?

What are you testing from, thin clients / windows desktops?

I haven't testing 4k yet, I have users using it and they aren't complaining, but I don't think they are doing full screen video. Check the endpoint, if that can support h265(hevc) decoding it may help, they added support in 7.7. I'm pending our upgrade from 7.4 to 7.9 to test that, but its supposed to be alot more efficent. There is youtube video online of someone showing the performance but its only 1080p

Horizon Blast h.265 (HEVC) Demo - YouTube

0 Kudos
wmiller203405
Contributor
Contributor

We are testing full screen video and non full screen video. The client is a Windows 10 Laptop with a Core i7 processor that has no issues rendering multiple 4K panels. We have also tried with and without H. 264 encoding.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

It depends on the graphics card in the laptop, and I think you get a "Allow High Efficiency Video Decoding (HEVC) " option in the client if h265 is supported, its different then h264. Its only available in blast

Configure VMware Blast Options

0 Kudos
royjb
Contributor
Contributor

what saying blast performance tracker ? wich profile with T4 ?

fps ? latency ? encoding ? bandwith ?

0 Kudos