VMware Horizon Community
LorenHudson
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon View 7.2 Sizing and Architect Discussion

We are currently running view 5.3 with two sites and have upwards of 500 users that we try to distribute evenly between the two sites. To do this we have 4 brokers and 2 security servers on each site and load balance (f5) internal users to 2 brokers and external users to the two security servers. We do not tunnel on the brokers and allow direct connect to the client desktops. This has worked well but now we are moving to view 7.2

With my understanding the View 7.2 brokers can handle over 1000 users vs the old 5.3 brokers would start to struggle with 100. What I would like to know is if two sites each with 2 brokers linked to 2 security servers with tunneling enabled will handle the work load of 250 uses normally and possibly 500 (if a site is down). This would make the F5 rules a lot simpler if I only load balanced for all users to one of the 4 security servers and forget about determining external vs internal. Additionally this would save some CPU and memory since I will  be running less brokers. I do not want the users to have a worse experience than they have today (obviously). In testing with a few connections everything seems to work great, but I am worried about moving the masses over.

The 5.3 configuration I am running today also had some drawbacks which I thought might be resolved with using only security brokers.

1. Internal users who used the html blast would get a security warning because the machine would resolve to the IP.

2. Internal uses would more frequently get network disconnects because our buildings are brick and wireless comes and goes, additionally our walls are wired with split pairs and therefore are 10/100. The idea of using  the tunnel TCP would remove dropped packets but might cause network jitters. Many staff have told us that VDI works much better from home than on site. I believe this is because of the security brokers and the tunneling.

3. we eventually want to add two factor for some users and in that case we would need even more brokers and security gateways which would take a lot of memory and cpu to serve a few high privileged users.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AishR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

0 Kudos