VMware Horizon Community
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon Skype Virtualization - External users have optimization enabled?

Hello all,

As with many of you in the recent weeks, we are seeing some unique scenarios when user-base shifts to major remote usage. I have a scenario where our agents have the Skype Virtualization Pack installed, and our thin clients in the office also have it enabled. However, now that almost everyone is working from home, I had expected the Optimization would fallback but that's simply not the case. Obviously, there is no communication between remote client endpoints.

Any known configs for disabling skype when the user is external? I could likely do a UEM ADMX policy for external only but would like to hear more.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jonathanjabez
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

You can configure Virtualization Pack for SFB Policy settings to force it to run in non-optimized mode for certain conditions like remote connectivity.

You can force Skype for Business to run in the non-optimized mode for Horizon Client connections by setting the name of environment variable that will be present at connection time on the machine where Horizon Agent is installed. If the variable name is set, Virtualization Pack for Skype for Business reverts to fallback mode.

For example, if the environment variable ViewClient_F5_APM is set on the Remote Desktop Agent machine when the Horizon Client machine connects from outside the network using F5 load balancer, and you want to force non-optimized mode, set this value to ViewClient_F5_APM. This policy is not configured by default.

VMware Virtualization Pack for Skype for Business Policy Settings

/Jon

0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Jon,

I have read that but it's vague. I'm assuming it's looking for the variables in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Volatile Environment but I would need the variable name AND value, wouldn't I?

0 Kudos
antonpaloka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bumping for visibility. I have a ticket open but I'll update this thread if I get feedback.

0 Kudos