VMware Horizon Community
robinsonjl3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon Desktop Locks up at Black Screen

I have a Windows 10 image deployed and when I attempt to login via a zero-client the desktop freezes at a black screen.  However, if I attempt to login to my session through a web browser the session loads fine and I can access and use the desktop.  This also works in reverse, if I attempt to login from a web browser, I will get the locked up black screen but then logging in with the zero-client the session loads just fine.

Once I am in the desktop, the only error I get is the following:

An unmarshaling policy check was performed when unmarshaling a custom marshaled object and the class {CDC82860-468D-4D4E-B7E7-C298FF23AB2C} was rejected.

Googling the error leads me down a bunch of rabbit holes with virus removal.  This is a Windows 10 image that does not connect to the internet and does not have a virus or malware.

That particular class listed in the registry as ShellItemArray Shell Namespace help and the subkey InProcServer32 is %systemroot%\System32\windows.storage.dll

I did find something that said to give System and Administrator full control of those keys but that did not change anything.

Has anyone seen this before.  I'm on a time crunch to get this image sorted out.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mengyaaa
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We have some simple tests with Zero client but never hit such issue or error message.

0 Kudos
Stone481
Contributor
Contributor

Black screen when logging in to Horizon virtual desktop(VDI) over PCOIP in Windows 10 (1028332) ... From internal network PCoIP connections may be successful by connecting directly through connection server, however connecting externally through UAG or Security server results in a black screen

MCDVOICE

0 Kudos
Mach6
Contributor
Contributor

I've been experiencing something similar with zero clients. It doesn't happen everytime, but once in a while, the first time I connect to a zero client, I will load into a black screen and you can only see and move the cursor as if the session was loading. But it's not doing anything. In horizon, you can't see the user connected to any VM. I have to shutdown the zero client, enter my credentials again and I'll load into the VM just fine.

I'm using Horizon 7.13. I've recently upgraded to Vmware Tools 11.2.6 on our templates, so I might be thinking it's related to this. I'll continue testing.

0 Kudos
Mach6
Contributor
Contributor

Also one other thing I noticed, If your template doesn't have a resolution that's supported by your zero client (in my case Teradici zero client), from time to time you'll load into a VM with a black screen. It seems to be intermitent and only started ever since I updated to Vmware Tools 11.2.6. I used to run Vmware Tools 11.1.1. For whatever reason, the scaling doesn't seem to work all the time with the never version of Vmware Tools.

On the zero client logs, I'll see something like this:

MGMT_IMG :(sink_ideal_dmt_get): Unspported resolution 1920x1024@60hz on port 1

If the resolution in my template is using a 16:10 aspect ratio (supported by Teradici), like 1280x800, 1440x900 or 1680x1050, the VM doesn't seem to load into a black screen anymore. 

0 Kudos
robinsonjl3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback.  I am using a Wyse 5070 zero-client which I believe uses Teradici.  I'll definitely look into the resolution and see if I am getting the same errors.  Currently rebuilding my image as I did make a couple of changes so trying to eliminate one of those changes as a possible culprit.

0 Kudos
robinsonjl3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After rebuilding my image, the problem still exists.  However, if I connect a second monitor to the zero-client the image loads just fine.  Take the second monitor away and the screen will lock up.  The client config is setup for dual monitor.  My image is also setup for 2 monitor in the VM setting and I also adjusted the video memory to what VMware recommends.

I have no idea what to look for to resolve this one.

0 Kudos