VMware Horizon Community
dockingbay94
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Horizon Connection Server requires static IP

I am attempting a greenfield installation of vcs for a pilot of the product.

On a Windows 2019 server, I start the install of VMware-Horizon-Connection-Server-x86_64-8.3.0-18294467.

When I try the install, it says:

"Unable to detect a network adapter with a static IP address.  It is required that servers do not use a DHCP assigned IP address because it may not change."

In my environment, I have to use DHCP addresses,  They are mandated to not change by our network department.

If I try to use a static IP, I go off of the network.

Is there a way with the product (e.g. start it with a parameter) to remove this limitation?  I certainly get the idea behind it, but it won't work in my environment as is.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can workaround this by specifying the parameter VDM_STATIC_IP_CHECK=0 to skip the check for a static IP address.  You should only do this if the IP address will never change, as in your scenario.  I'm looking to see if we can enhance the Connection Server installer to allow installation without skipping that check if we determine an IP address assigned via DHCP reservation is in use.

Use  <installer.exe> /v VDM_STATIC_IP_CHECK=0 from a command line to launch the installer and skip the static IP check.

-Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies
SurajRoy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Use DHCP Reservation.

0 Kudos
dockingbay94
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Although not the same thing with my environment, I already am using the equivalent to a DHCP reservation.  On our network, access to an IP address requires the MAC address, just like a DHCP reservation.

But from the perspective of the vcs app, it is still a DHCP IP (reservation or not).  It will still fail with the same error. 

0 Kudos
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You can workaround this by specifying the parameter VDM_STATIC_IP_CHECK=0 to skip the check for a static IP address.  You should only do this if the IP address will never change, as in your scenario.  I'm looking to see if we can enhance the Connection Server installer to allow installation without skipping that check if we determine an IP address assigned via DHCP reservation is in use.

Use  <installer.exe> /v VDM_STATIC_IP_CHECK=0 from a command line to launch the installer and skip the static IP check.

-Jon