VMware Horizon Community
chadc1979
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon Client on Horizon Agent RDS Pool

Hi,

I've got a couple questions coming from Citrix and wondering if there is a way to get it working with Horizon.

I've got 2 RDS Farms 1 with Office ProPlus and 1 with an ERP application.

I installed Horizon Client on the 2nd RDS Farm with the ERP application.

I installed and configured the Horizon Client with the Server and to LoginAsCurrentUser and added a shortcut to Startup with installShortcutsThenQuit.

The Shortcuts that are created prompt for credentials instead of logging in as the current user, I imagine I am missing something in the configuration of the Horizon Client?

Also I am publishing the ERP application and with the Citrix Agent/Client it knows if the server that is hosting the application is the same it doesn't create the shortcuts, is there a way to do the same thing with Horizon?

I need the applications in RDS Farm 1 available within RDS Farm 2 but not vice versa, with file extension integration I figured if the ERP application tries to open a Word document for example it would be able to with the shortcuts being added to RDS Farm 2.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Newer versions need enabled the logon as current version feature on the connection server and the horizon client

Using the Log In as Current User Feature Available with Windows-Based Horizon Client

"On the Connection Server instance, user credentials are encrypted and stored in the user session along with the username, domain, and optional UPN. The credentials are added when authentication occurs and are purged when the session object is destroyed. The session object is destroyed when the user logs out, the session times out, or authentication fails. The session object resides in volatile memory and is not stored in Horizon LDAP or in a disk file"

Can you explain the second part more, I think you can user client restrictions for your needs

Implementing Client Restrictions for Desktop and Application Pools

chadc1979
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got a little bit further, it's not enough to enable login as current user on the Connection Server and when you install the Horizon Client.

I had to also enable "Default value of the 'Log in as current user' checkbox" GPO, then I only get prompted for the Sharing configuration that I imagine I can configure with a GPO and supress.

So the second part of my question is that I am publishing the ERP Client and the RDS Desktop, when I log into the RDS Desktop I only want it to create the shortcuts for Office that are installed on a different RDS Farm and not the ERP Client that is installed on the same RDS Desktop I am logging into.

I've got shared applications such as Office, Visio, and Project that are being used by multiple business units and then applications that are dedicated to a specific business unit where I am publishing the applications and desktop.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You can't really do that with RDS desktops, you can with non persistent desktop pools and appvolumes so you can entitle applications to people based on a logon. You can look at fslogix and application masking to try and limit applications if you don't have access to those components

Implement Application Masking Tutorial - FSLogix | Microsoft Docs

I'm not that familiar with that yet, but based on what I read that may work in your situation.

0 Kudos
chadc1979
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sounds like I have more digging to do, I am using FSLogix where I have multiple servers in a farm.

I noticed the shortcuts are created in the users profile, I wonder if I manually create the shortcuts in the same place what the Horizon Client will do. Overwrite or do nothing, I'll see what options DEM gives me.

The Horizon Client GPOs look a bit limited, maybe a feature request as it's something Citrix has been able to do, if the published applications are on the same computer you're logging into it doesn't create the shortcuts.

Thanks

0 Kudos
chadc1979
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think what I have to use is a combination of Horizon Agent and Horizon Direct-Connect Agent, I need to point the Horizon Client to the Horizon Direct-Connect Agent and then I'd only get the Office/Shared applications and not all the applications the user has access too.

0 Kudos