VMware Horizon Community
BYOB14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon Client kicks users out after 11 hours on the dot

My users recently started reporting this to me. I have a belief its either 5.3 or 5.4 they are all on, all Windows based. But after 11 hours inside View (accountants during tax season) the client kicks them out and closes. They can get back in just fine but this has been happening for about a week now and there's nothing in View admin that dictates this.

Anyone have any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

It should be 10 hours by default

Global Settings for Client Sessions

Look at Forcibly disconnect users, you can increase it up to 20 hours but you can't prevent it.

0 Kudos
BYOB14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We already set that to 1200, so 20 hours and still continue to hear it. My only thought is maybe these users have not obtained a new session since this change occurred. I swore we had it above 600 to start with but I could be wrong. Been a string of long days as of late.

Stay tuned.

-DR

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Does this happen for internal users, or ones who connect through UAG? Although the default timeout for UAG is 10 hours too, some of the provided .ini files for the PowerShell deployment have 11 hours configured.

André

0 Kudos
BYOB14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To my knowledge, its only external users going through the UAG. So is there a separate set of parameters on the UAG that aren't governed by View Admin?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can't tell you for sure, but from what you say, it seems that the "sessionTimeout" value (see Using PowerShell to Deploy VMware Unified Access Gateway) works independently of the Connection Server sessions.

André

0 Kudos
BYOB14
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Found it in system config of the UAG, it uses milliseconds... because that makes sense -- but it was set to 11 hours, so we upped it.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Out of curiosity, I searched the KB for related entries and found https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2145172​ with a (rather unexpected) comment to be aware of.

Note: Ensure to restart the UAG if you change the session timeout from Admin UI.

André

ssculp
Contributor
Contributor

We are also running into the session timeout issue. We are trying to determine the best number to set this at. We have spoken with vmware for recommendations but they only indicate the default settings are ideal. Users will be actively working and their session times out and they need to reauthenticate to connect back in.  Currently we have this set to 24 hours to minimize these session timeout occurrences. It would make much more sense to have it disconnect when there is no user activity mouse and keyboard stokes, but that is not the case.

We are also trying to determine the best setting for the authentication timeout. Currently if an authentication timeout occurs, the user is required to enter their credentials twice before connecting. If using 2fa, the user is required to enter their credentials four times before reconnecting.

What do you guys recommend for the UAG timeout settings?

0 Kudos