VMware Horizon Community
oshun123
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon Client from Cuba

Hi,

I am traveling to Cuba in a few weeks and want to work from there remotely. My wife is already there and tried to download the Horizon Client but it is not possible as the website returns "permission denied". I checked and found out that there is an embargo against Cuba, North Korea, Syria, and some other countries; the download is therefore not allowed.

But as I am a European citizen (Austria) and just want to work remotely some days during my holidays, I would need to access my office computer while being in Cuba. I achieved downloading the software and sent it by e-mail to my wife, but for security reasons, I can't give her access to my user & password, I have to test if it works when I am there.

Now my question is: Is the Horizon client detecting that I am in Cuba and block the usage?  If yes, are there any workarounds I could do? 

BTW, my company is not blocking. I tried to connect with VPNs all over the world and it worked fine, which makes sense because we are an international bank with people working remotely spread across Europe, India, etc.

If Horizon client is not working from a PC located in Cuba, I thought about a workaround by using an AWS EC2 instance, installing Horizon client there, and jumping from this EC2 to the office computer; but in this case, I am not sure if I would be able to get audio (which I need for Skype).

Any information would be appreciated

Best Regards,

Roland

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FelixYan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Horizon client should not detect location of the user.

0 Kudos
Nano0osh
Contributor
Contributor

Does it work in Dubai as well? my work is in Ottawa Canada. if I travel to Dubai, can I still use it?

0 Kudos
oshun123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I am working now since 2 weeks from Cuba via mobile phone (LTE). It is almost perfect. I can do a full working day with lots of calls via Skype and teams with about 500MB. A package with 16GB data costs 40 USD so it is not really expensive. The audio has no echo at all, I filter all background sound via a software called Krisp (Cuba is a loud country, lots of music during they day, roosters shouting in the night). The latency is great, I improved it further by using ProtonVPN. Still, you have to be careful as some protocols such as Openvpn are blocked. Wireguard works without issues. 

0 Kudos
oshun123
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. Dubai has Internet censorship. You would need to be prepared to bypass it in case they block the traffic generated by horizon client. Have as many options as possible available. It might be that using a VPN is illegal in Dubai you have to be careful not to get into legal troubles. I can recommend Psiphon and Lantern to circumvent censorship. These are proxies and they can make your traffic look like regular browsing. Or you setup your own server for a few dollars and run protocols such as Brook, hysteria, vless, vmess, shadowsocks, etc. In Cuba all of them work. The more options you have the better. If you use Windows you need a software called proxifier to tunnel all traffic through the proxy and not only the Web browser. You can by it for around 60 USD and it works great. Finally, if you use your company laptop you probably need to install the software on a router as you might not have permission on the computer... 

0 Kudos