VMware Horizon Community
janekocanpayne
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon Client for Chromebook hangs

The company I work for have recently invested in a couple of Chromebooks, with the hope of using them as an alternative to a full Windows client as a VM connection agent.

We are using the Google Admin console to open Horizon Client on start-up as a kiosk app, which it does successfully but takes 3 minutes to get to a sign-on screen (most of this time it hangs at "Initializing application").

Has anyone else come across this issue?  Is there anything that can be done to reduce this time?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

On the parent image settings check the following!

What Windows O/S are you running?

How much memory RAM?

How big is the HDD?

Did you run the VMware Operating System Optimization Tool?

How many vCPU?

How many application are you running on it?

How much is the Total Video Memory?

How much is the 3D Memory?

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected  :smileyplus: Don't forget to:

Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
janekocanpayne
Contributor
Contributor

I fail to see how any of your questions are relevant to my question - the Horizon client hangs on its own start up, before any sign-in information is entered.  Please see my original post, which states that the app takes 3 minutes to get to a sign-in screen.

0 Kudos
PCTechStream
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A parent image will always impact the log on process if not configured properly, A Google Chromebook isn’t a replacement for a thin client; users who will be using their Horizon View desktop all day would be better off running a full Horizon View Client. But a Chromebook and HTML Access is a winning combination for quick access to a Horizon View desktop via a browser. Also. check what is the network configuration between the Client and the View Connection Server. 

Raul.

VMware VDI Administrator.

http://ITCloudStream.com/

Stay Connected :smileyplus: Don't forget to:

Like > Share > Comment > Reply > Helpful > Answered

www.ITSA.Cloud
0 Kudos
janekocanpayne
Contributor
Contributor

As I've pointed out (twice), the Client hangs before the sign-in process takes place.

HTML access is not an option, as we require use of the microphone in the VM session, as well as total lock down of the Chromebook.

0 Kudos