cec772
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon Client Screen Freezes when switching MaxOS spaces

I'm using VMware Horizon Client on a Apple Mac for connecting to Windows desktop at work, and frequently encounter screen freezing of the Horizon Client.

This seems to be triggered by swiping left/right to switch between OS X 'spaces' and view a local screen on my Mac.

When I return to the Horizon client window it is unresponsive.  I think it gets confused by switching 'spaces'

What I find interesting is that mouse clicks seem to still be processed in the background

because when I finally get back to my remote windows desktop, it was updated.. For example clicking to close a window actually closes it in the desktop,

It's just the Horizon Client does not repaint again. I use a 3 monitor setup and the horizon windows on the other two monitors usually continue to function.

Note:

To recover, I previously restarted the client each time which was painful, but I found an easier workaround by bringing up the menu bar and selecting CTRL-ALT-DEL menu item..

All screens will go dark/ or to the remote Windows screen that asks to lock/change password/etc.., except the frozen one.. but if I swipe left/right again to switch 'spaces' (on the frozen screen or maybe on one of the other monitors, i don't actually remember the exact sequence that works..)   I can usually make it come back to life.. then I just hit 'ESC' key for windows to return back to my windows desktop where I left off.  Hope that helps someone.

8 Replies
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

cec772

We didn't reproduce it in house.

Could you tell us the information below?

1. macOS version

2. Horizon client and Agent version

0 Kudos
Texbian
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.

I am running Catalina 10.15.6 and VMware Horizons 5.4.3 (16449473).  I use Horizons to connect to my office every day during the week and only started having problems about 1-2 weeks ago.

0 Kudos
MaxStr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We also have this issue. Users have dual monitors and are using Horizon in full screen, spanned across both monitors. Horizon 7.12, latest Mac client

0 Kudos
cec772
Contributor
Contributor

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.5.

VMWare Horizon Client: Version 5.4.3 (16499473)

0 Kudos
YunYiQun
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

We may have fixed the issue.

How could i give you a sandbox to try it?

grangeTim
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar issue. I'm using a caldigit dock with a MacBook pro and when move something from one screen to the other the horizon client freezes. Can you help me?

0 Kudos
InventorTechie
Contributor
Contributor

I wonder if the CalDigit dock is related to this? I am having the same issue, I've tried the two latest versions of Horizon Client 2103 and 2012. When I move the Horizon Client around the desktop on Mac OS (so in windowed mode). It will often pinwheel immediately for 5-10+ seconds, so it becomes unresponsive and unusable. Mac OS v 11.3.1 currently. 

0 Kudos
marshan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi YunYiQun,

Could you let us know what the fix for the issue is please? I also experience this issue since the company rolled this out.

Thanks

0 Kudos