VMware Horizon Community
MTheis
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon Client 5.4.2 Display scaling option missing

Our Patchmanagement updated the Horizon Clients on our Windows 10 machines to Version 5.4.2 build 15936851 and now the the option for display scaling is missing in the menu. We retested with an older Version in the same environment and could see this option in the menu after connecting to the vm. With 5.4.2 this option is gone. Since many of our users work with Microsoft Surfaces they are unable to work on the Windows 7 machines in the VDI environment without the display scaling.

The Surface users had to disable display scaling and re-enableit to get the right resolution they could work with. Since this option is now missing, they are unable to work. We already tried to enable and siable the option in the Horizon Client setting for the pool, but this didn´t help.

Do you have a solution for us, without downgrading every Horizon Client on the affected machines manually? UWP Version is not an option for us.

Ticket is open, hopefully we find a solution here earlier.

Thx, Michael Theis

10 Replies
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The option is available in 5.4.2 version as well. Can you please share a screenshot of settings page from horizon client?

0 Kudos
MTheis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

sure, I can provide the screenshots. It´s a german client, but you shoul see what I mean:

1. picture show the all monitor options (support asked me to try this)

pic1.png

2. picture shows the missing option while connected to the vm

pic2.png

3. picture shows that the option is available in the setting and checked. But this option has never been working on our Surfaces until we checked this option off after connecting to the vm and rechecked it, so we need to get back this option visible after connecting or the option working as designed (hopefully it is designed to work).

pic3.jpg

0 Kudos
Jons5
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey,

I have tested this in my VDI environment just now and the option you described only shows up when using the VMware Blast protocol.

If I select PCoIP like you did the option 'Anzeigeskalierung zulassen' in the drop down menu is gone for me too.

Not sure if that is working as intended but maybe selecting the VMware Blast protocol is a quick workaround for you. :smileylaugh:

Best regards,

Jens

Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi MTheis

Okay. So I reproduced it and found the only way to get that option in horizon client options after connecting to a VDI, is to keep your display set to 'All monitors' irrespective of the protocol you connect with. Hence keep your clients display setting at 'All monitors' and then users will see display scaling option after connecting to VDI.

If that also not works for you , you can force allow display scaling on all surface clients using below registry:

Registry Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Registry Path Software\Policies\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Client

Value Name AllowDisplayScaling

Value Type REG_SZ

Enabled Value true

Disabled Value false

Or if these are domain joined clients, you can force display scaling using client GPO 'Allow display scaling':

General Settings for Client GPOs

MTheis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Shreykar,

thanks for the response. The "All monitors" option is set by default (see screenshot 1 in my previous posting). This has been the first answer from the VMware support. Sadly, this doesn´t help.

I tried the registry setting you provided. This setting doesn´t work for me either. I rechecked the setting two times.

0 Kudos
MTheis
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Jens,

thank you very much for reproducing my settings. I am glad that we are not the only one having this issue. I will provide your hint regarding the blast protocol to the VMware support. Sadly, we got an issue with the blast protocol, so that at the moment PCoIP is my only option. I got a maintenance slot on may 22nd, where I am going to update our Horizon environment and retest blast protocol again. Our firewall rules should match the blast protocol, but somehow the connection breaks. I will investigate that in the maintenance slot.

Michael

0 Kudos
MTheis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

I retested with several Horizon Clients from 5.4.2 downwards.

1. 5.4.2 issue exists
  2. 5.4.1 issue exists
  3. 5.4.0 issue exists
  4. 5.3.0 works!

So this issue must have come to the client in 5.4 ... I am unsure why we recognized it that late, I will have a look into our patchmanagement later, which versions are installed on the other surfaces. I informed support about my results, hopefully they will find a way to re-enable this in 5.4.2, too.
Michael
0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for the update. Setting registry won't let you see the missing option in UI rather it will just automatically allow the display scaling for your all clients.

If this also doesn't work and happens only with 5.4, I will check it further and update you.

MTheis
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding the registry setting you are right. I forgot to mention, that I could see, if I do set this setting in registry, the value is checked in the client options where I choose the pool, but greyed out in there, like I forced it by policy.

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes. Thats is expected.

0 Kudos