VMware Horizon Community
Mackopes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon Client 4.8 on macOS Mojave 10.4 black screen?

I'm testing macOS Mojave Beta 1, and while the Horizon Client connects fine, it's just a black screen (PCoIP OR Blast).

Anyone else successfully test this config?

Thanks!

AK

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ajkst1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update: Horizon Client 4.9 was released today. I have tested it and confirmed that it DOES work on 10.14 beta 10. What a great surprise!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
32 Replies
Mackopes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just a bit more detail. Same issue with Horizon Client 4.7. (thought I would try downgrading just in case)..

Works fine with the Horizon HTML Access.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Does it eventually timeout and disconnect? A black screen typically means a communication/firewall issue.

0 Kudos
hcsdadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having the same issue. I've let it sit there for about 10 minutes and it just stays black screen. Allowed Horizon thru the mac firewall. Horizon admin is showing as connected.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Have you tried clicking in the Horizon Client window? I see this on the Horizon Client for Mac with Windows 10 agents where the screen is black until you pass keyboard/mouse input to it.

0 Kudos
hcsdadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have, doesn't ever seem to show. But it does look like the input is making it to the machine. If I remote view the virtual machine from my windows desktop I can see the mouse and keyboard inputs I'm doing on the mac.

0 Kudos
ajkst1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a similar issue that happens every year with various iOS apps and the iOS betas (obviously not the Mac, but the situation is the same). VMware can't update their app to fix the issue because the next OS beta might have a fix for it and chasing bugs/issues on a beta OS is fruitless effort until the gold master is available and the code is finalized. I wouldn't expect any fixes until then (judging on past releases, sometime in September). Would be interesting to see if a new beta version fixes the issue without any changes from VMware. I've seen this on a number of iOS apps, so it's not entirely out of the question.

0 Kudos
hcsdadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Makes sense. Can't blame them. Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
ajkst1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Speaking of a new build, looks like Apple released 10.14 Mojave Beta 2: https://9to5mac.com/2018/06/19/macos-mojave-beta-2/

Can you try it and see if it fixes the issue? I'll take a guess that it doesn't, but it's worth a try.

0 Kudos
MattWhiteCCIE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Beta 2 does not fix the issue.

0 Kudos
cashxxx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yea, been having the same issue here with the black screen in Mojave.  I have put in a bug report to Apple about it.  Please do the same if you have the ability to do so.

0 Kudos
hcsdadmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Didn't work for me as well. Gonna report the bug to apple like cashxxx.

0 Kudos
TJG2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can confirm that the same still happens on MacOS 10.14 Beta 3.

Although who's to say that it's an apple issue, and not the way that VMWare has hooked into the system to display the VDI desktops?

After all - RDP client works OK, and that does pretty much the same thing...

0 Kudos
pdudas76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can also confirm, it has not worked for me on Mojave since using the beta 1, 2 or 3 today.

Also downgraded to 4.7 just in case, still no go. I am just trying to be patient Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
TJG2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just for the record, doesn't work with iOS 12 beta 3 either..

I would suspect that apple have added an extra security layer that Horizon clients were bypassing, and this is what's causing the issue - similar things happened with macOS 10.11 and VMWare eventually updated the client to work - version 3.4.1 was released with the release note.

• When you connected to a remote desktop from a Mac OS X El Capitan (10.11) client system, the entire desktop window was black. This issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
kdenike
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello all, Kristina here from VMware. We have also seen this issue and hope to have a fix in place before Mojave ships.

TJG2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for sharing.

If you need any testing done - then happy to assist.

0 Kudos
pdudas76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Kristina,

I would be happy to test this as well!

0 Kudos
Jord0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Kristina,

I would also would be very happy to test a new version of the client

0 Kudos
tnmwalker
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Add me to the list, I am dead in the water for VMWare right now on my Mac.

0 Kudos