VMware Horizon Community
JimmyKwagzog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Horizon Client 2106 breaks shortcut parameters

We are running Horizon Client 2103 currently and use a couple of custom shortcuts on our users' desktops to direct them to our Primary and Secondary environments. Secondary is our DR failover environment for users to swap to if they have a problem with Primary.

I noticed when testing Horizon Client 2106 that our shortcuts no longer function unless we change them to point to the new "vmware-view-legacy.exe" OR completely remove all of the extra parameters we are relying on. Below is an example of what our shortcut targets look like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Horizon View Client\vmware-view.exe" -serverurl [removed] -loginascurrentuser true -domainName [removed] -desktoplayout multimonitor -singleautoconnect

Updating the shortcuts as part of moving to 2106 and beyond would be easy enough whenever the time comes. However, is this legacy exe going to be available indefinitely, or will it be completely removed at some point down the road? If it is to be removed, we would greatly appreciate the shortcut parameter functionality being added back into the default client exe before that happens.

I could not find anything in the 2106 release notes regarding these changes. Anyone else run into this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JimmyKwagzog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for drawing my attention back to that section. The little one-liner 

"The -logInAsCurrentUser command has changed to -loginAsCurrentUser. See Running Horizon Client From the Command Line."

made me go review that page and buried way down there is an updated note that now says

"Group policy settings take precedence over settings that you specify from the command line. The command-line options are case sensitive."

The bit about command-line options being case sensitive is new compared to that same note on the 2103 command-line page.

Sure enough, went and changed all our parameters to match the case being used in the documentation, and now the shortcut works with the new exe again. Definitely would have appreciated a bigger callout to this in the main page of the release notes, since it is actually a larger change than just the loginAsCurrentUser parameter.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi JimmyKwagzog,

According to the Release Notes of Horizon Client for Windows 2106, VMware has made some vmware-view command changes.

JimmyKwagzog
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for drawing my attention back to that section. The little one-liner 

"The -logInAsCurrentUser command has changed to -loginAsCurrentUser. See Running Horizon Client From the Command Line."

made me go review that page and buried way down there is an updated note that now says

"Group policy settings take precedence over settings that you specify from the command line. The command-line options are case sensitive."

The bit about command-line options being case sensitive is new compared to that same note on the 2103 command-line page.

Sure enough, went and changed all our parameters to match the case being used in the documentation, and now the shortcut works with the new exe again. Definitely would have appreciated a bigger callout to this in the main page of the release notes, since it is actually a larger change than just the loginAsCurrentUser parameter.