VMware Horizon Community
jroback
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon Client 2106 Font Size?

Am I the only one that thinks the font size in the 2106 Horizon Client is completely oversized?    It really looks like it's trying to emulate a tablet experience on windows now like the Windows 10 Control panels.

Because of the large font size all of the URL's for my horizon servers wrap into two or three lines, as do the names of pools.   And the settings screen  requires significant scrolling to see all the options.  I can't see any way to change this.

Not a huge deal in functionality, but does make it harder to use and look less professional, in my opinion.

8 Replies
robinstolpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hole 2106 feels like a beta.

I can’t even connect to my 2103 environment that uses smart card with the 2106 client.

It don’t even work when I did try to update one connection server.

if im using the 2103 client it works flawless.

I need some of the new features in 2106 so I’ll update the infrastructure but not the clients as it’s an issue with GUI and function for us in 2106

IT engineer that works with the hole VMWare portfolio and also loves to develop and automate in C# and PowerShell
0 Kudos
agong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi jroback,

What is the OS resolution you're using? Could you please attach an screenshot for us to better understanding the problem?

For " the settings screen requires significant scrolling to see all the options", is this specific to one setting page or common to all settings screen? BTW: a screenshot would be better.

Thanks.

agong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi robinstolpe, 

It would be helpful to tell us more details about your issue. You can enable debug level log and collect log using DCT and attach it here for analysis.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mhartstein
Contributor
Contributor

Seeing that here too. Our server URL is 15 characters total and the "om" of the .com at the end is wrapped onto a second line. This is at 1080p, 100% (standard) scaling in Windows.

In the toolbar that shows in the top middle of the screen when in a session in fullscreen mode, too, about half of the pool name (most of ours are around 18 characters) is now hidden behind an ellipsis.

Functionality bug in the 2106 client aside, this UI design feels like the Windows 10 Settings app when it was first released in 2015 (monochromatic, lots of white space yet text unnecessarily constrained and/or cut off). 2103 client and earlier, with its rounded boxes and colorful UI seemed a lot more in line with the upcoming Windows 11 look, too.

robinstolpe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I’ll create a support case tomorrow. The issue is with our cs that has smart cards requirement. you can’t access our environment if you have updated to 2106 on the CS you get http error 500. Same with client 2103 and 2106 this when we had updated the cs to 2106. And only for smart cards.

this is only when your outside (internet/wan) when you go trough our LAN it do work. So I’m confused. But it only work with client 2103 and not 2106 and the cs 2106

so if I’m trying to access the cs that has 2103 it works fine with the 2103 client but not with 2106.

I did also find a new strange thing.

If your inside our environment and want to access horizon view admin you use to go to https://server1/admin but now you can go there but when you write your Creds it just say login failed.

so then you need to go to https://server1.domain.com/admin then you can login.

this is strange and it’s an issue only with 2106 with 2103 the above did work.

IT engineer that works with the hole VMWare portfolio and also loves to develop and automate in C# and PowerShell
0 Kudos
agong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, robinstolpe. A support case would be helpful to address the issue.

0 Kudos
jroback
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry for the delayed response, I missed your reply.  Here are screenshots showing you what I'm talking about with the larger text size causing server names to wrap.  This is on Windows 10.  Resolution 1980x1024, Scaling at 100%.  

For the preferences, I'm not able to duplicate this behavior now, so I'm thinking it must have been a 1 time thing on my  machine possibly because of an upgrade. 

Overall these issues are a nit-pick, and not that big a deal. I just have a personal preference against apps that resize the text to fill all the space vs keeping a consistent size with empty space.  But this is my UI/UX leaning.

I'm actually far more concerned about the change in default protocol, but I'll post another message about this.

0 Kudos
mhartstein
Contributor
Contributor

This seems to have been fixed in Client 2111 (at least for me).

0 Kudos