VMware Horizon Community
SebastianK8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon Bundle License question

Hi Community Smiley Happy

I have a question about the horizon bundle license.

The license includes the hypervisor for desktop, vCenter standard and the Horizon View components.

What is allowed with this license model? Can I only deploy the VDI desktops on the cluster licensed with the bundle, or can I deploy and manage other VMs needed for VDI too (e.g. Connection Server, Composer, SQL, Exchange, DC, File/Terminal Server)?

It would be very helpful if you have a valid link / document with the license law Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance.

Sebastian

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would recommend contacting your VMware team and get something in writing on what's allowed if you must do it this way.

To keep things simple and due to the nature of the workloads we run seperate vCenter for desktops and servers. Even the supporting Horizon infrastructure is run in the server environment.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RyanHardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Sebastian,

with Horizon licenses you are allowed to host all the additional infrastructure needed for VDI, eg. Connection Server, Composer, UAG, vCenter (if it is managing VDI hosts only). Domain controllers may be a thing to argue about I guess (then again, who uses DCs only for VDI users?), but Exchange and file servers should clearly be on the not-allowed list.

0 Kudos
SebastianK8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your fast response. As you said, it "should" be Smiley Happy and I would agree with that. We plan to use the DC's only for the VDI environment (completely new infrastructure), if we are saving the user profiles on DFS shares (two file server), then the file server are needed for VDI and should be allowed?

Best regards

Sebastian

0 Kudos
RyanHardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I can only guess based on the information I have, but my advise would be to not mistake the infrastructure that's needed for making the Windows OS usable (DC, profiles, GPOs etc.) with the infrastructure that is really needed for VMware Horizon to work.

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I would recommend contacting your VMware team and get something in writing on what's allowed if you must do it this way.

To keep things simple and due to the nature of the workloads we run seperate vCenter for desktops and servers. Even the supporting Horizon infrastructure is run in the server environment.

RyanHardy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

+1

We're doing the same here. If you have got multiple systems dependent on vCenter (as it is the case with Horizon) you'd be running into complicated update procedures as often the supported vCenter builds may not be the same for these systems.

0 Kudos