VMware Horizon Community
snyderkv666
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon AppData folder redirection?

Happy new year

I wanted to ask whether or not people are using DEM to redirect their AppData folder. I understand most of the application data is stored in the DEMProfiles? but as far as security scanners go, I'm trying to avoid that folder being scanned in the base image regardless of exemptions, if that's how it works.

Any advice? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

You need DEM profiles to capture your apps, if you don't anything else is lost that would have been redirected to appdata

0 Kudos
snyderkv666
Contributor
Contributor

Gotcha, but just to be clear, you're saying that the local AppData folder within the base image will not be used by security scanning software or apps that are or aren't controlled by DEM?

0 Kudos
snyderkv666
Contributor
Contributor

sjesse

I should just ask, do you redirect your appdata folder via DEM? I'm assuming you don't. 

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

IF you don't redirect them, the files are in the clones instead of a file serve so they are still there. So they may or may not be scanned depending on your security software. I redirect AppData currently but am migrating to fslogix profile containers . There is a place for not redirecting them or not using a profile contaior, but you need to make sure you profile everything.

0 Kudos
snyderkv666
Contributor
Contributor

Just curious why you're adding another layer of complexity with fslogix when it's kinda redundant with DEM as far as user profile and config data? Are you trying to improve login speeds? 

0 Kudos
zenmatrix
Contributor
Contributor

There are things like holding outlook data and other things DEM can't do, and remember DEM will not capture everything. Remember the profile still exists and anything not in DEM is lost on logout, this way is a failback for anything missed. There isn't too much extra complexity, you just need AD ,and agent, and a file server. Its enabled by gpo so I only use it if needed, not by default. Its much faster then writable volumes with appvolumes.

0 Kudos