VMware Horizon Community
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Horizon Agent upgrade script(s)?

Greetings,

I've got several hundred win10 static VM's that need to be upgraded from agent v 7.08 to 8.x There is no reliable upgrade of this agent so it must be uninstalled.. reboot then new agent installed. Anybody have any methods to share to make this process less pain?

Thanks

Ron

0 Kudos
7 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

I have only a script for upgrade horizon Agent. 
But I think it can be done with powercli/powershell
Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

I don't know if you have resolved

But if you want you can try to use this script (I have changed my horizon installation script)

Script for removing and installing Horizon agent – BIOLNX (vmvirtual.blog)

I suggest you try the script on limited VMs (2-3) that are not critical.

For any questions ask me!

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you I will take a look at it.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Fabio,

I attempted the script and it ran fine to the point where it uninstalled the agent then rebooted the workstation. Then it hung for 10 minutes waiting for reboot (even though it did reboot as I was watching it in vcenter console session).

I decided to manually reboot it while the script was waiting.. then it progressed to detecting no agent on workstation and asked to disconnect from vcenter.

screenshots with workstation name crossed out.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Ciao 

the first test is to check if the share SMB mounts correctly on the VM where you want to remove e install the agent.
You can try to use this command 
New-PSDrive -Name “S” -Root “\\<server>\share” -Persist -PSProvider “FileSystem”

from PowerShell on the VM windows 10. 
If the share mounts correctly try to start the installation from the file.bat
Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Fabio,

The SMB share mounts fine locally on Win10 and maps an S drive. I executed the bat file manually and it pops a UAC warning then setup came up in interactive mode.

Contents of bat file

S:\VMware-Horizon-Agent-x86_64-2111-8.4.0-19446757.exe /s /v"/qn REMOVE=ClientDriveRedirection”

Note I get garbage chars at the end of ClientDriveRedirection instead of a quote

0 Kudos
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

Hi @vmrulz 

I had a similar problem with a VM windows 10. But the installation agent failed also in a normal installation.

Do you have any errors in the installation log? (Check the logs in C:\ProgramData\VMware\logs)

Fabio 

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog

0 Kudos