VMware Horizon Community
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon Agent 2012 Breaks Visual Studio GIT Integration

We just rolled out the latest version of 2012 Horizon and found a very odd issue. With the 2012 Agent installed, our developers can no longer use the GIT integration in Visual Studio. We get the following error: "Unable to start process. Timeout waiting for Child process to open named pipes."

If I uninstall the Agent, Visual Studio GIT works perfectly. I don't even have to be using the Horizon for this issue to happen. If I RDP to the machine the same error happens. As long as the agent is installed, GIT breaks in Visual Studio.

However, command line and third party tools work fine to access the repositories. This is very odd!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for the delay here but VMware said they were releasing an update to fix this issue. The issue was tied to their scanner/serialport redirect component and how it was built. We had to add GIT.EXE to an exclusion regkey to get it to function correctly as the scanner redirect was snagging whatever Git was trying to do. They said a new version of this component was being written that is supposed to prevent this issue. To deploy the fix, I just added the regkey exclusion to a Group Policy.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ftsjail\ExcludeProcesses
1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ftsjail\ExcludeProcesses
2. The value is Multi String that contains excluded process names.
3. Append needed process name there (wildcards are supported). Example: *\notepad.exe.
4. Restart system

This should fix the issue without having to let go of the Scanner/Serialport redirection.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Just horizon installed and nothing like appvolumes or something similar? I'd open a ticket if you haven't, just based on that message it sounds like a bug, where they are accessing the same thign at the same time.

0 Kudos
Leodox
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We have the same problem.  It only happens on our VMWare VMs.  It happens to all users on VMWare who use Visual Studio 2019.  It does not happen on any other machine or on HyperV VMs.  I have found a temporary fi; however, every time you update VS 2019 on  a VMWare VM, you must go through the fix process again.

1) Install or Update VS 2019 (reboot if needed)

2) Open the Visual Studio Installer and uninstall "Git for Windows"

3) Delete the following folder entirely (and all it's contents): C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TeamFoundation\Team Explorer\Git\

4) Open the Visual Studio Installer again and install "Git for Windows"

5) The folder you deleted in step 3 did not come back and Git for Windows should be installed in C:\Program Files\Git\

6) Enjoy Gitting

I do not know why this works, as I found it just though experimentation.  It seems that VMWare does not like that long path where VS originally installs GIT and it fails when trying to launch GIT in the background.  This is an extremely annoying issue as our team has had to go through this process many times now, every time we update VS.  We have had some users go back to HyperV due to this problem.

A fix would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
NickTT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for the delay here but VMware said they were releasing an update to fix this issue. The issue was tied to their scanner/serialport redirect component and how it was built. We had to add GIT.EXE to an exclusion regkey to get it to function correctly as the scanner redirect was snagging whatever Git was trying to do. They said a new version of this component was being written that is supposed to prevent this issue. To deploy the fix, I just added the regkey exclusion to a Group Policy.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ftsjail\ExcludeProcesses
1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\ftsjail\ExcludeProcesses
2. The value is Multi String that contains excluded process names.
3. Append needed process name there (wildcards are supported). Example: *\notepad.exe.
4. Restart system

This should fix the issue without having to let go of the Scanner/Serialport redirection.

CTRIM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know this is super old but we were able to solve this (GIT not working in Visual Studio 2019) by disabling Scanner Redirection from Horizon Agent "Modify" option under control panel add remove programs.

0 Kudos