VMware Horizon Community
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon 8 & SQL Server events setup error

hi, 

i'm having trouble setting up the events database in horizon 8 i am using sql express advanced 2014 i've followed videos and forums on the correct setup and procedure but it still says the error "An error occurred while attempting to configure the database. Double check the database parameters and ensure that the database is not down, restarting, or otherwise unavailable." 

i dont know if maybe the horizon 2203 isn't compatible with sql 2014 or maybe its my active directory permissions, or a port on the firewall as the forums i've seen don't explain or show this. i'm assuming server 2022 standard is ok also and i don't need datacenter version

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

@M4T, good morning,

I have the latest build of the PostgreSQL version 14 product installed local to the system on which the "HORIZON" product was installed and then I configured the connection to the events database as you can see in the ".PDF" format file attachment. To be honest, I don't do much with the events database because I send everything to my syslog facility (VMware LogInsight) which I then use to generate alarms in response to events, from my point of view of course, significant.

Regards,
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@M4T 

SQL 2014 should be compatible, but Event DB configuration only supports sql accounts, no AD integrated accounts.

Also check that you use the correct instance name and TCP port number and that TCP connections are enabled (by default not when installing SQL Express).

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Mickeybyte 

HI,

i have setup the database and user using the sql autherntication not AD. 

what do you mean by correct instance name. i have enabled the tcp connections

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

@M4T 

By default SQL Express installs an instance using "sqlservername\SQLExpress". So you need to put that name in the SQL Server field, not just the name of the server. 

If it's still not working, you will have to check the logs on the connection server in c:\programdata\vmware\vdm\logs for any related messages that can point out what is wrong.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Mickeybyte 

hi, 

i'm guessing it needs writing as vdi-uk-sql01.homelab.local\sqlexpress

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Mickeybyte 

the latest log shows this what i have attached. 

doesn't really show much

matt

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

The first entry shows the db connection failed. Anything before that message? 

Can you also check the debug log in the same folder. This should give you more information hopefully.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Mickeybyte 

attached 2 logs, log 2 seems to show more info that might help with the question 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

I'll tell you, very personal opinion, have you considered using "PostgreSQL" instead of "Microsoft SQL server express", after having fought with the latter for at least a couple of hours, I preferred to let it go.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Kinnison 

hi,

i was thinking of changing, is PostgreSl easier to setup 

i only used microsoft sql as there was videos to show setup

Matt

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

You can also find specific instructions for using PostgreSQL, and close the question in 15/20 minutes (even less).
If you "google" for "horizon 8 postgreSQL" you'll find something quite detailed.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Spoiler

@Kinnison 

hi, 

ive found a article and followed the process but still doesnt work and says the same error, have you got a article i could try if its different to the one i had 

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi @M4T 

According to the logs: 

2023-05-08T16:06:48.511+01:00 ERROR (1D14-1B18) <ajp-nio-127.0.0.1-8009-exec-5> [EventDatabaseManager] Unable to update database settings; database connection failed: SQL exception when connecting to database: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "The server selected protocol version TLS10 is not accepted by client preferences [TLS13, TLS12]". ClientConnectionId:a93cbd13-1d8c-4d8d-bb4d-0488886f94a7

You say you installed SQL Express 2014. Did you also install the latest updates for SQL 2014? It contains an update to support TLS1.2/1.3. Or upgrade to a higher version (2016/2017/2019, NOT 2022!)

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

@M4T, good morning,

I have the latest build of the PostgreSQL version 14 product installed local to the system on which the "HORIZON" product was installed and then I configured the connection to the events database as you can see in the ".PDF" format file attachment. To be honest, I don't do much with the events database because I send everything to my syslog facility (VMware LogInsight) which I then use to generate alarms in response to events, from my point of view of course, significant.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Kinnison 

i see so you have postgre installed on the connection server not a separate server 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Kinnison 

managed to get it working now thank u, i installed on the server horizon connection server is on copied your information and its working now. 

i know its not best practise for real world but for testing in a homelab its fine 

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Comment removed...

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Kinnison 

hi 

is what i meant was in real world your sql server would be separate to the connection server if you have 2 connection servers say and 1 goes off with the events instance the other 1 wont have a events database is what i mean. and obviously setup a new database etc but as for home-lab its fine to test  

0 Kudos