VMware Horizon Community
giusepperavasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Horizon 8 Named Users and vSphere for Desktop licensing

Hi, 

I'm in thre process of buying an infrastructure for 300 Named Users of Horizon 8 Enterprise but I cannot find something clear about the license limit of vSphere for desktop included.

Let's say that on this infrastructure I would like to have:
- 300 VDI Windows (one for each user)
- 50 VDI Linux (I'm not planning to have them right now but in the future is plausible for thoose users to have both windows and linux vms powered on at the same time)
- 10 VDI for terminal mode APPS
- 2 Domain controllers for the VDI
- 2 Connection servers
- 2 UAG Applieances
- 2 Workspace One Access Aplliances
- 2 App Volumes management servers
- 1 appliance for backing up some persistant VDI
- 4 (one for each host) CIFS appliances to serve DEM and FSLogix profiles (thats true with both nutanix and vSAN enterprise)
- 4 Nutanix appliances for the storage (if I go with the nutanix storage solution for this project)
- 1 VM for storing mail client local profiles.

Are thoose kind of workload permitted?
There is some hard limit on vSphere for Desktop that i should know (ie. 300 powered on vms) ?
Thanks

Giuseppe

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2132201

This article covers all of your questions. vSphere for desktop covers all infrastructure supporting the VDI environment, but that infrastructure does not count toward your licensing agreement. Only desktops count toward the usage. 

vSphere will only warn you if you go over the 300 machine limit, but you can safely ignore if you are still in compliance. It will still allow you provision, and as the article states, you can ignore this warning. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2132201

This article covers all of your questions. vSphere for desktop covers all infrastructure supporting the VDI environment, but that infrastructure does not count toward your licensing agreement. Only desktops count toward the usage. 

vSphere will only warn you if you go over the 300 machine limit, but you can safely ignore if you are still in compliance. It will still allow you provision, and as the article states, you can ignore this warning. 

giusepperavasio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the link!

Do you know if there is any similar KB about vSAN for desktop? I couldn't find anything about that in the kb.

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I believe infrastructure is covered there as well, but I would confirm with your account rep.

0 Kudos