VMware Horizon Community
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Horizon 7 admin console web time out??

Hello,

We have 7.13 connection servers. I'm trying to figure out how to extend the admin web session timeout. I've tried the logical thing by changing my preferences as below but the time out is still less than 5 minutes. Extremely frustrating to use. This occurs for everyone. I assume it is a setting on the connection servers?

vmrulz_0-1631814561804.png

Thanks Fish!

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@vmrulz ,

Where did you find this setting. If I check my 7.13 connection server, the settings is under "Settings" - "Global Settings" - "General Settings" where you have "Connetion Server Session time out". My screen however doesn't look like yours: 

Mickeybyte_0-1631859770006.png

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@vmrulz 

Sorry, just found out where you set the timeout: using the "settings" button on top of the page. This is an override of the global setting for the current session only apparently. Never used it. Probably it's taking the smallest timeout of both settings, not sure about that.

Try changing it using the global settings.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
pari2k3
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Try the below one. Enabling automatic updates on the View Connection server

1. Log in to View Administrator.
  2. Navigate to View Configuration > Global Settings.
  3. Click Edit.
  4. Select Enable automatic status updates.

When enabled, the global status area in the upper left corner of the application gets updated automatically once in every few minutes. The Dashboard page, when active, is also updated every few minutes.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1034033

Note: Idle session timeouts do not occur when automatic updates are enabled and, therefore, View Administrator remains active until the browser is closed or an explicit logout is performed.
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@pari2k3 

This doesn't seems to be correct. I have automatic updates enabled and timeout on 15 minutes. This is the screen I get when 14 minutes have passed: 

Mickeybyte_0-1631861163599.png

This is on a 2106 connection server, but the same happens on 7.13. (just tested it)

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thank you I think we'll try doing the web-inf file since we don't have want to automatically update our infra.

Ron

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@vmrulz 

Remember that this setting will be lost when you upgrade your Horizon environment.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

0 Kudos
ET0099
Contributor
Contributor

just asking as i still haven't found  any valid workaroudn 7 fix.
Even within version 8 ( 2209 )  we have the problem that admins will be kicked out after 10 minutes, even if we configured with global settings 

Horizon Console Session Timeout: 60 minutes
API Session Timeout: 60 minutes
Auto Update: Enabled

ET0099_0-1671783734540.png

0 Kudos
mrkasius
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @ET0099,

Are the admins directly pointing to a Connection Server or do they access the Horizon Console via a load balancer?

bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm pointing directly to the connection server and the stupid console times out even if you are actively using it.

Started happening after upgrading to 2209. Really annoying.

0 Kudos
vmrulz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Agreed this is the only applicaiton I use that the timeout cannot be managed regardless of what you set it to. VMware doesn't seem to think it is a problem. Doesn't matter whether you connect directly to a connection server or via Load balancer. 

We are on 2209 now and still experiencing this stupidity.

VFWDVallejo
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue after upgrading to 2209, except my timeout is always 8 hours even though I have it set to 12 hours.

It used to work fine in Horizon 2203.

I upgraded to 2209 in December and it's been broke since.  Haven't tried upgrading to a newer version yet... but 2209 definitely has some bugs with the Horizon Admin Console Timeout setting.

I work a 10 hour day and I always have to reauthenticate to Horizon Admin console at 2:30pm because of the 8 hour timeout. :')

0 Kudos
bjohn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The sad part is that you are actively working on something in the console and the stupid thing logs you off.

VFWDVallejo
Contributor
Contributor

I actually made my timeout worse looking into this yesterday.

I set the timeout on my profile to 720 minutes by clicking the gear in the upper right and now it always logs me off every 9 minutes.

Wish I knew how to fix it!  

0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@VFWDVallejo 

Did you also set a higher value in the API session timeout? This is by default 10 minutes, so that could be the reason you're logged off after approx. 9 minutes.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

VFWDVallejo
Contributor
Contributor

No, I'll give this a try.  I wasn't aware the API session timeout applied to the admin console.  (I thought it was for interacting with the console without being on the web.. through straight APIs.)

I'll give it a try now.

::comes back after trying it::

WELL, that's odd.  Changing the API session timeout from 10 to 4320 seems to have resolved the issue.  (Why does this affect admin logins?  I'm using the web browser and not APIs to do work in the Horizon Console...  I've never had to change this value from the default of 10 minutes in 2203 and older...)

Time to dial the number back down to my original value of 720 and see what happens!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well, the console actually does API calls for all the work... 

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

VFWDVallejo
Contributor
Contributor

Very weird!  They should just combine those 2 into one setting then instead of having one called "Horizon Console Session Timeout" and "API Session Timeout" :')

Thank you again, you rock.

khaydin
Contributor
Contributor

They atleast added this tool tip which explains that the API timeout is the upper limit. I don't understand the need for both settings, it just adds to the confusion. I'm doing a POC of Horizon 8 now and it's been driving me insane that i was getting logged out after 10 minutes while I was ACTIVELY USING IT.

0 Kudos