VMware Horizon Community
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon 7 VM's wont connect to connection server

Hi Community,

im having trouble with horizon 7 trying to get the view agent on a Windows 10 VM to connect to the connection server?

on the horizon administrator under > machines > Status it says "Error : No network communication between the view agent and connection server. please verify that the virtual desktop can ping the connection server via FQDN."

I have the Domain controller with the Windows 10 VM and the connection server connected to the domain. and also the security server is connected to the domain. the vcenter is also connected to the horizon 7 without any errors.

I have noticed that if I ping the connection server with cmd : ping horizon.vm.net it doesn't ping so I'm assuming its a host files maybe in the c:\ system ? 

do the windows 10 vms connected to the connection server have to be on a domain?

Matt

0 Kudos
7 Replies
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Matt,

Are you trying to add these Windows 10 VM's to a manual pool? I didn't see any mention of Instant/Linked clones so I'm thinking yes but let us know.

Also on the Windows 10 VM is the firewall enabled?

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1027217VMware View ports and network connectivity requirements (1027217) | VMware KBhttps://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1027217

Also, check on the Windows 10 VM that you have the network card configured as a VMXNET3 vs E1000

Hope that helps

------------------
Joe Graziano
Senior Solution Engineer - EUC Federal
VCP7-DTM, VCP6-DM, VCP6-DCV
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com
0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You have answered your question.

<"I have noticed that if I ping the connection server with cmd : ping horizon.vm.net it doesn't ping">

This is the reason why you see the error 'No network communication' when deploying machines in horizon pool.

All VMs in a horizon pool, must be added to domain. Possible while cloning the VM , your VMs are not getting added to domain and that is why it is not able to ping connection server.

Check your view composer service account setting if it has permission to join machines to domain in case you are using linked clone.

Additionally make sure new VMs are getting a valid IP in vCenter . If not, check network adapter/DHCP.

At all times you should be able to resolve your connection server using nslookup from VDI, you should be able to do telnet to your connection server over 4001.

0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi joe,

1) yes they are being added as a manual pool

2) on the windows 10 vms the firewalls are disabled for all ( private, domain,public )

3) I have the connection server and vms attached to the domain controller.

4) I have changed the ADDNS, CONNECTION SERVER, & WIN10 VMS to VMXNET3

but I still cant ping the connection server from the VM's

Matt

0 Kudos
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A few networking questions

• When you ping the FQDN does DNS resolve the IP address?  (Indicates DNS is or isn't working)
  • Are the Windows 10 machines getting their IP's from DHCP or static?
  • Are the Windows 10 machines in the same VLAN, Subnet etc as the connection server, perhaps a firewall in between the subnets. I've seen that too often

To Shreyskar's point, the fact that you cannot ping indicates there is very likely a network connection between the two. If ping doesn't work it's probable that the horizon ports aren't open/working either.

------------------
Joe Graziano
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com
0 Kudos
M4T
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi joe,

- When I ping the connection server from the win10 vms it says "destination host unreachable"

- the windows 10 vms are static ip's

- yes they are on the same network we only have 1

- ive tried reinstalling and starting from scratch having the domain controller on a VM as well but that doesn't work either. ive tried having, connection server, domain controller & windows 10 vms in the one vSAN cluster and made all the settings the same but it still doesn't work.

- one thing ive noticed as well maybe to note if I type in the cmd "ping then the ip address" of the connection server it works. but if I type in the FQDN it doesn't.

Matt

0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you were able to ping with IP and not with FQDN, it is an issue with DNS entries. Can you check if you can ping the DNS server or domain controller?

Also validate if you can add entry in local machine host file for the connection server and see if you can ping with FQDN post that.

Other try is to open command prompt and check nslookup <connection server FQDN> and see if it returns output.

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It definitely sounds like DNS is one of your problems as the Win10 machines are not resolving the IP of the Connection server and likely any other servers.

In the static IP setting double check that the DNS server on your domain (Might be your DC) is set listed properly.

Having all the VM's in the same VSAN won't really matter as that's just your storage.

I would go down the DNS path for troubleshooting. Without good working DNS you're not going to be able to go much farther.

------------------
Joe Graziano
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com
0 Kudos