VMware Horizon Community
bkjackson78
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon 7 HTML Blast and smart cards

Has anyone used smart cards successfully with blast? Any issues with it? Did you use the access point or a security server? Is the set up the same? I cannot find any documentation on it.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Bomin
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

HTML Client does not support Smart Card.

0 Kudos
bkjackson78
Contributor
Contributor

EUC8404 - What's New with Horizon 7

@33.00 min in. What do I lose if I switch from pcoip to blast? One thing ability to use zero client.

0 Kudos
bkjackson78
Contributor
Contributor

EUC7998 - The Latest in High-Performance Desktops and Applications with Horizon 7, Blast Extreme Pro...

@11 min Blast Extreme must support everything pcoip supports like smart cards and printers

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes but that comments ("must support everything pcoip supports like smart cards and printers") is specifically about native clients + Blast extreme. You were asking about the HTML client with Blast, which doesn't support all of the features that the native clients do. Blast is a protocol that is shared across multiple clients; it was first used with the HTML client but is now also used by native clients.

0 Kudos
bkjackson78
Contributor
Contributor

Can you explain what a native client is? Like a windows client?

0 Kudos
grossag
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

‌A client that you need to install, like the Windows client.

0 Kudos
Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

But not all native clients support smart cards.  For example, the client for Chrome OS (even though Smart Card Connector has been publicly available since May).

0 Kudos
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

>>Can you explain what a native client is? Like a windows client?

Yes. Native Horizon Clients are installed on the client OS and can support Smart Card authentication. They are available for Windows, Linux, Android, Mac OS X and iOS etc.

VMware Horizon HTML Access Client just runs in the browser and does not require a native Horizon Client install.

The advantages of native Horizon Clients is that they can support more features such as Smart Card authentication and other rich user experience features.

Mark

0 Kudos