VMware Horizon Community
touimet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon 7.4 automatic pool selection

I'm planning a large Horizon View environment that will consist of about 6000 desktops. 

• All desktops will be identical from the same parent. 
  • Despite the 4000 desktops per block support in 7.4 I am going to stick to three blocks of 2000 desktops each.
  • Each block will have a dedicated vCenter/hardware and Connection Server.
  • I will have N+1 Connection Servers for a total of four.
  • F5 will load balance across the four Connection Server with no UAG's or Security Servers as all connections are internal.
  • Create three Floating Desktop Pools (Pool01, Pool02, Pool03) each pointing to a different vCenter block

That's the basic design.  What baffles me is how to load balance across the three pools?  In other words how could I get Horizon Client to auto-select an available pool based on the least amount of active desktops in a pool (block)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Global Entitlements replicate across pods/sites in your cloud pod federation. So if all 6 pools are identical, you can create a single global entitlement and add all 6 pools so that your users will only see 1 icon.

Your user entitlements (permissions to the pool) will be done at the global entitlement; you actually won't have any entitlements set on the local pools themselves (you'll get a warning in the pool saying no users are entitled, but it really isn't true; hopefully fixed in a future update).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I assume you aren't utilizing Cloud Pod Architecture today? With CPA, you can assign all 3 pools into a single global entitlement; the user will only see one pool, but in reality all 3 are behind that entitlement. I'm not 100% sure of the load balancing mechanism, but it will broker to the pool based on availability.

-Nick

0 Kudos
touimet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Actually the plan IS to use CPA, so I guess that answers my question.  If I have three pools in Datacenter01 and three pools in Datacenter02 will CPA display each pod (3 pools) as an individual entitlement?

0 Kudos
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Global Entitlements replicate across pods/sites in your cloud pod federation. So if all 6 pools are identical, you can create a single global entitlement and add all 6 pools so that your users will only see 1 icon.

Your user entitlements (permissions to the pool) will be done at the global entitlement; you actually won't have any entitlements set on the local pools themselves (you'll get a warning in the pool saying no users are entitled, but it really isn't true; hopefully fixed in a future update).

0 Kudos