VMware Horizon Community
JohnTwilley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Horizon 7.12 - Prewarm Sessions

With the release of Horizon 7.12, comes a new feature called Prewarm Sessions.  Being a Health Care customer, our #1 complaint from staff is the login delay for Windows 10.

After reading this, we quickly installed Horizon 7.12 in our test environment...and have NO IDEA how this actually works.  There is zero documentation on this new feature, other than what you see below.

If anyone knows how to trigger the API call to actually Prewarm a session, please enlighten us as to the method.  This is a shout-out to the VMware Marketing department...as it's a pretty lame explanation. I have my VMware TAM researching it now, and will post a reply when I find out.

Prewarm Sessions. The new Prewarm session time limit now allows you to enjoy a faster initial

login. The first login of the day typically takes longer than subsequent logins, as you wait for initial connections, authentication, and desktop provisioning. Reconnecting to a desktop is always faster than a fresh connection. With this latest release, the initial login is treated like a reconnection. Faster logins make everybody happy, but especially for users whose initial login might be as time critical as any subsequent logins, such as health care workers. The speed is accomplished through APIs, and includes a Prewarm Time Limit which is 30 minutes by default.

Tags (1)
9 Replies
ja1832
Contributor
Contributor

This is a feature request that I requested a while back and have been tracking via our TAM for some time.   Quite the exciting development!

Hopefully, I'll have some information in the upcoming week that I can post.

0 Kudos
cfuguy
Contributor
Contributor

I am also very interested in how this works.  One of the biggest drawbacks with AppVolumes is the initial log on.  It can be a huge pain point for people and anything I can do to alleviate that is huge.

To be honest I am in the process of preparing a new Horizon environment and will be leveraging AppVolumes and DEM which is a major departure from our current setup.  I can already tell there are going to be some pain points depending on how many App Stacks people need.

We need more speed!

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This will be enabled via an API that companies such as Imprivata can use to start and then disconnect a session.  They can use a beacon in the parking garage as an example to start the desktop and then disconnect it making the initial logon for the user much faster. 

Chris Halstead
Senior Staff Architect, EUC Technical Marketing
chalstead@vmware.com
Twitter: @chrisdhalstead
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

I hope this is the normal horizon api? I'm hoping to design something that will log people out over the weekend and then prewarm them in the beginning of the week,

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No - For now everything I have seen is it is an internal API that companies such as Imprivata would be able to use.  I will check with PM is there is any plan for a more general release of the API.

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
nburton935
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I've been Google'ing this on a regular basis since GA release with 7.12. I still have not found anything, either in Horizon documentation or VMware Code (API documentation). I am continuing to push folks to get more information and documentation around this.

Thanks,

-Nick

0 Kudos
chrisdhalstead
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I have reached out the Product Managers and expressed the interest in making this API public.  I will follow up when I get additional information. 

Thanks

Chris Halstead
chalstead@vmware.com
0 Kudos
thavener
Contributor
Contributor

What's the latest on this?  Haven't seen to much on it.

0 Kudos
BeGoofy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread but I also keep checking back and I see no updates in a long while... I'm also in healthcare and its something I really think would be an amazing feature if we could make use of it... if anybody has any further information on this I would really like to dig into this

0 Kudos