VMware Horizon Community
scott72
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon 7.02 Instant Clone Win 10 (Cannot Select Parent VM)

Anyone have this issue, cannot select the Parent VM for the instant clone. Running a 60 day evaluation for a Demo to staff. Went through all Parent prep, shut down VM, took snapshot (re-started Parent).  Tried two different versions of Win 10, restarting vCenter, cloning the VM.  Storage accelerator enabled,  IC Domain Admin configured. At a loss here.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Licensing is very important for instant clones, Please check If the License used includes the Instant cloen feature else the feature will not work

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

in addition to making sure that you have the Horizon Enterprise license, also make sure that you've configured the instant clone agent (as opposed to the linked clone agent) on that specific parentVM

Angela Ge Product Line Manager, VMware Horizon
0 Kudos
scott72
Contributor
Contributor

I wonder if the Horizon 7 Enterprise License includes this, I thought it was a part of Enterprise so I figured it would be a part of the Evaluation license.  It doesn't specifically state Instant Clones anywhere though.

0 Kudos
scott72
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I made sure it was the correct agent.

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

does the parentVM show up in the instant clone creation wizard and you just can't select it (greyed out)?  or does the parentVM not show up at all? 

0 Kudos
scott72
Contributor
Contributor

It shows up if you select the option "Select All Parent VMs" but it is greyed out, cannot select.

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I checked with the engineering team.  One reason this could happen is that this particular parentVM does not have a snapshot.  But it sounds like from your original email that you did take a snapshot. One thing to try is see if you can select this parentVM in the full clone creation wizard or the linked clone creation wizard.  This would tell you whether this issue is specific to instant clone or not.

In any case, we'll probably need more information to get to the root cause.  I recommend opening a SR. 

0 Kudos
scott72
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting same issue on the Linked clones.  Cannot select the parent VM.  I am running vSAN as it is a VxRail appliance.  Wonder if this could be related.  Is there any separate license to run with vSAN?

0 Kudos
angelage1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your demo license (which I assume is Horizon Enterprise) should already cover vSAN.  In any case, Horizon doesn't do a license check on vSAN. 

0 Kudos