VMware Horizon Community
Zaim33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon 6 and Server 2012

Been looking around to see if Horizon 6 will support Server 2012 and 2012 R2. I haven't been able to find anything and wondered if anyone else knows?

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

View Connection Server and View Composer Server will be supported on Windows Server 2012 R2 in Horizon 6.  They will not be supported on 2012 (non-R2).

Thanks

Jon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DJLO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I've got 5.x running in 2012 R2 just fine to be quite honest.  It was trivial.  I just told the installer to run in compatibility mode.

Been running for just about a year without any issues.

Officially they'll tell you it won't work but it works just fine for me

peterbrown05
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Zaim33- are you asking about Server2012 as a single user desktop OS or in a RDSH mode for apps/desktops?

officially it's "not supported" in View 5.3 for VDI desktops - the current GA'd release.

(which isn't quite the same as it won't work - just means that support wont be provided for any issues found when running in this mode because some or all features have not been fully qualified on it by vmware qe)

Zaim33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answers. Looking for official support of the installers and management on Server 2012, more to know this will be in place than anything else.

Surprised to hear they worked in compatibility mode, swear I tried installing View Composer in compatibility mode on a Server 2012 R2 vCenter instance and this failed.

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
eeg3
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

I have not seen the formal release notes, but screenshots floating around show usage of Windows 2012.

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
0 Kudos
Jon_Holloway
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

View Connection Server and View Composer Server will be supported on Windows Server 2012 R2 in Horizon 6.  They will not be supported on 2012 (non-R2).

Thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
DJLO
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Right click the .EXE and run it in Windows 7 mode. I know someone at VMware is going to swear up and down it doesn't work or isn't supported but truth be told, it works like a champ for me.

I had already built my 2012 R2 servers for vCenter 5.5 and View 5.3 as part of my massive infrastructure upgrade over the Christmas holidays. When we saw the installer would not play nice, we decided to cowboy it and try compatibility.  We figured worse case it won't work and we rebuild the servers to 2008 R2

Your mileage may vary and i don't endorse this as something people should try.  It works (and continues to work) for us here but who knows what will happen to someone else

This includes the View Composer as well.  It didn't like being installed on 2012 R2

0 Kudos
acoustix
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Jon Holloway wrote:

Thanks

Jon

This really, really stinks that View 6 isn't supported on 2012.  You're hanging a lot of us out to dry.  Not cool at all.

0 Kudos