VMware Horizon Community
Zaim33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon 6 Published Apps Desktop Shortcuts

Just completed the excellent Horizon 6 HOL VMware - NEE which has a good overview of published apps and cloud pod architecture.

One question to the wider community on published apps, currently you access the applications via the View client (web or software) but is there a way to deploy applications as shortcuts or Start menu items?

I vaguely remember this being asked before and advised this will come in future updates but wondered if this could be confirmed or if anyone has experience of this.

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

It depends a bit on what client you are coming from but for example on Windows you can simply drag an application to the desktop to create a shortcut to it.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Also, if you check out the properties of the shortcut created, you will get the URI to open that application. You can then use that to create shortcuts or links for others. It will essentially launch the View client and send them to the application.

For example, the URI for my Command Prompt shortcut is: vmware-view://vcs6.eeg3.lab/cn=command_prompt,ou=applications,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
Zaim33
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's great. From the URI I can build others and extract the complete name from the View database using ADSI. Not as simple as a checkbox to enable the shortcut creation but not exactly hard.

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
bulenttolu
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All, first thanks for information provided. is there a way to automate this, ie, populating the shortcuts dynamically per user? (I guess you need to lookup member atrribute in ADSI for each application and then go to AD to see if user is a member of the group etc to create the shortcuts user has permission to launch) Any news whether this will be in the future updates? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It's something likely to be added. We expected it would be a popular request. Doing it in a login script or GPO for Windows end points is what some are doing short term.

0 Kudos