VMware Horizon Community
Dapendragon
Contributor
Contributor

Horizon 2212.1 Freezes/Crashes trying to connect

So this has been my ongoing saga for the last 5 and a half hours:

We have upgraded to Horizon 221.2.1 and now when I try to launch it pops up the Connecting... Screen and pretty much instantly freezes. Eventually I get the traditional "This Program is not Responding you can close it yadda yadda..." from windows. This will also be the case if I click anywhere on the connection window at all pretty much from as soon as it launches. Things I have tried:

• Let it sit and try for 15 minutes
  • Roll-back/downgrade to the previous 6 versions
  • Disable all anti-virus/firewall
  • Run in Safe Mode with Networking
  • Reduce Resolution on both monitors all the way down to 800X600 (and everything in between)
  • Ensured that all Windows updates, video drivers, etc. are up to date
  • Custom install removing all extra install features (USB redirection, log in as current user, virtualization for skype, support for html 5)
  • Launched the client from Chrome and Edge
  • Shut down every other process not necessary for keeping Win 10 running while trying to connect

Here's the kicker: I went and downloaded it on my wife's old laptop which we replaced with a new one for her a while back, the old one now mostly exists for our kindergartener to mess about on - and it works 😛 I'd rather not have to try and work on the old laptop instead of my nice desktop in my home office but it's obviously something on my machine. I've attached the latest log.

Help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
adanmohamed2018
Contributor
Contributor

It sounds like you've tried a lot of troubleshooting steps already. Since the program is not responding and freezing, it could be related to compatibility issues or some conflicting software on your computer. Here are a few more things you could try:

1. Check for compatibility issues: Double-check the system requirements for Horizon 221.2.1 to ensure your computer meets them. Also, check if there are any known compatibility issues with your specific hardware or software.

2. Run a virus scan: Use your anti-virus software to run a full system scan to ensure there is no malicious software that could be causing the issue.

3. Clear temp files: Clear temporary files on your computer, including cache and cookies. This could help free up space and improve performance.

4. Check Event Viewer: Check Event Viewer for any error messages or warnings related to the Horizon client. This could provide some insight into the root cause of the issue.

5. Update drivers: Ensure that all your drivers, including video drivers, are up to date.

6. Create a new user account: Create a new user account on your computer and try launching Horizon from there. This could help determine if the issue is related to your user account.

7. Contact the vendor: If none of the above steps work, contact the vendor for further support.

Without reviewing the log file, it's hard to say exactly what's causing the issue. However, I hope these additional troubleshooting steps are helpful.

0 Kudos
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

What OS are you running on your desktop?  I'll assume Windows, but it makes a difference if it's Win10 with some level of patch (e.g. 22H1) or if it's Win11.  I've noticed some compatibility issues with specific 'new' TPM and security selections on Win11 that do not play well with certain apps and protocols. My curiosity there is to know the difference between the old laptop and your preferred new(er) desktop.  

I would have guessed a HW/RAM issue, but given it runs on an older laptop, I'm thinking it's a newer OS security setting that 'makes sense at the time' until it doesn't.  

0 Kudos
FilipSafar
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same issue.

I was so frustrated that I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 11. This fixed the issue for a while, but stopped working again - I guess after some Windows update?

Can someone please help?

Windows 11 22H2

0 Kudos
JanBolk
Contributor
Contributor

Have you found a solution for the problem?

0 Kudos
FilipSafar
Contributor
Contributor

No, I had to downgrade to an old 32bit version.

0 Kudos
wildsoul
Contributor
Contributor

I have exactly the same problem. Win10. I tried some of the steps described by @Dapendragon. I also have another machine with Win10 on the same network and it works fine on it.

I dug a little into logs on both those machines and on the failing one I can see:

2023-10-18T20:30:02.973+02:00 EROR (01) [libcdk] : CdkUtil_GenerateDHKeyPair:3649: DH generate key failed.
2023-10-18T20:30:02.973+02:00 EROR (01) [libcdk] : CdkUtil_GenerateDHKeyPair:3658: Failed to generate DH key pair with error: error:2D073087:FIPS routines:FIPS_drbg_init:selftest failure.
2023-10-18T20:30:02.973+02:00 EROR (01) [libcdk] : CdkCryptoTaskRenewKeyParameters:271: Failed to renew the DH key pair.
2023-10-18T20:30:02.973+02:00 EROR (01) [libcdk] : CdkCryptoTask_CreateKeyParametersNode:502: Failed to renew the necessary key info.
2023-10-18T20:30:02.973+02:00 INFO (01) [libcdk] : CdkGetConfigurationTask_CreateRequest:302 Failed to create key parameters for the crypto task.

which is exactly the same what I see in the log attached by @Dapendragon.

Still no idea how to deal with it...

@FilipSafarwhere can I download this 32bit version from?

0 Kudos
wildsoul
Contributor
Contributor

I found it 🙂

remove the windows user env variable "OPENSSL_ia32cap"

worked for me 🙂

source:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/10k8ve4/vmware_horizon_client_stops_responding_after/

0 Kudos