VMware Horizon Community
robinsonjl3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Horizon 2103 Single Monitor Issue

This is related to my post at https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Horizon-Desktops-and-Apps/Horizon-Desktop-Locks-up-at-Black-Screen...

Here is my current problem.  I have Dell Wyse 5070 clients running ThinOS 9.1.3112.  I have two systems setup to do some testing.  One has a single monitor while the other one has dual monitors.

I can connect to a desktop using the Blast protocol however, the zero-client with a single monitor locks up at the desktop with the Project to a Connected Screen dialog box.  It will stay frozen until the resolution is changed on the zero-client.  That seems to unfreeze the desktop.  I attached an image of what the desktop looks like when it freezes.

The zero-client with dual monitors does not have this issue and works as intended and all is right with the world.

I thought this was strictly a Wyse issue until I tried accessing the desktop through the web browser.  Once again, the desktop loads but freezes up at the same spot but if I resize the browser window it resolves the problem.

I have tried changing the master image hardware config from 2 monitors to 1 monitor to automatically detect settings in the video card settings.  I have adjusted the video memory.  I tried setting the screen resolution to different settings, nothing seems to help and I really need to get this resolved.

I attempted to force PCoiP instead of Blast but that is causing other issues that I don't have the time to troubleshoot.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
robinsonjl3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can go ahead and mark this resolved.  I finally figured out what was causing it.  I overlooked a particular GPO that was being inherited by the VDI OU that fixed an issue with our dual monitor fat-clients.  Once I disabled inheritance the image began working as intended.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
robinsonjl3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Very discouraging that no one has any suggestions or hasn't seen this issue.  I am still battling it and have nothing good to report.  I did get a PM saying to disable Print Redirection but that did not help in my situation.

I have been digging through logs and I found the following:

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\VMWUSM\0000

and

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ROOT\VMWVIDD\0000

Not sure if this has anything to do with anything but they stuck out.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
robinsonjl3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can go ahead and mark this resolved.  I finally figured out what was causing it.  I overlooked a particular GPO that was being inherited by the VDI OU that fixed an issue with our dual monitor fat-clients.  Once I disabled inheritance the image began working as intended.

0 Kudos
Genose
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What was the GPO that you you were using?

0 Kudos
robinsonjl3
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This particular GPO has been in place since before I started managing this environment and apparently it was due to some bizarre behavior with an nVidia driver and dual monitor fat-clients.  So the GPO was a simple logon script that called DisplaySwitch.exe /extend.  The GPO was labelled nVidia Dual Monitor Fix and since I am not using nVidia cards in my servers I completely ignored the GPO since I assumed it was specific driver related stuff.  Apparently, this was forcing the desktop image to try and extend the display to a second monitor which is fine if the zero-client had a second monitor attached but when only one monitor was connected it locked up the display until you changed the resolution.  Mouse clicks were still being registered just the display wasn't refreshing.

How I figured this out was disabling inheritance on the VDI OU and logging in with nothing but the default domain policy being applied.  I then attached specific GPO's necessary for our domain leaving out the nVidia GPO.  I then investigated the GPO to see what it did.  It definitely made me feel stupid but I'm just glad I got it figured out before these need to be deployed.

0 Kudos