VMware Horizon Community
IKirill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Horizon 2006 and Windows 10 (1909 or 20H2) - Customization Timed Out

Hello!

I have Vsphere 7 and fresh install Horizon 2006.

I try to create linked clone Winodws 10 pool with quickprep!

when pool is created is see the erorr state for my vms:

Customization Operation Timed Out!

I start trobileshhoting:

1. I dont have license (is't demo stand) and first i modify SkipLicenseActivation registry key in master image to 1.

Nothing

2. I check Windows 10 to support Horizon 2006.

I use 1909 and 20H2, thats versions are supported

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78714

3. About master image

I check, that tools up to date

I check, that system have all security update and up to date

when install agent, i check that i install linked clone option, no instant clone/

4.Check vms, that are creаted in VC

fist - the hostname have master image name

second - vms have IP addresses and i can manual join to domain.

No errors in agent logs, but see like this:

"View Composer customization in progress (100 ms)"

"View Composer customization in progress (600 ms)"

5. Check composer logs

2020-12-13 20:08:59,390 | 66 | DEBUG | ServiceCore.LockManager.OperationLockManager - Reader lock has been released.
2020-12-13 20:08:59,421 | 66 | DEBUG | ServiceCore.Security.AuthorizedUsersManager - IsAccessAllowed() returned True for user 'my domain\my_account'.
2020-12-13 20:08:59,421 | 66 | DEBUG | ServiceCore.LockManager.OperationLockManager - Reader lock has been acquired.

2020-12-13 18:58:50,411 | WFE thread 9 | INFO | SimAuditLogger.AdSubsystem - Operation AddADAccount.

these messages are repeated many times

Whats wrong ? 

Help!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
GBrown1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Linked Clones are not supported in Horizon 8 (2006), Use instant clones instead.

Horizon 8 (2006) has deprecated View Composer, which includes linked-clone and persistent disk technologies. This deprecation means the intent is to remove the feature in a future release, though companies using Horizon 8 (2006) will have some time to migrate off of these technologies.

https://techzone.vmware.com/resource/modernizing-vdi-new-horizon#:~:text=In%20Horizon%208%20(2006)%2....

0 Kudos
IKirill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks GBrown1983!

I dont know about that!

But i can create linked clone pool in 2006. Is this feature necessary for migration?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Deprecated doesn't mean not supported. Switching to instant clones is a good suggestion, but if it wasn't supported they would have removed the feature.

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Why would you create a new linked clone pool, when its going away. It should work, but if you doing a fresh install I can't see the purpose.

0 Kudos
GBrown1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

As mentioned this is supported but I wouldn't recommend start a new environment with a deprecated feature. It will not be supported in the next version.

Please follow the documentation for configuring Instant Clones and remove the composer server.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Horizon/2006/virtual-desktops/GUID-3F7F5228-26B0-47ED-B381-01B2E2C...

VMware Documentation- Creating and Managing Instant-Clone Desktop Pools

Fron Horizon 2006 Release notes-

View Composer linked clones and persistent disks are deprecated. The feature still exists within the packaging but we do not recommend starting any new projects with linked clones. We will remove this feature in the upcoming release. Estimated to be Q4 2020.

0 Kudos
IKirill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Today i reinstall agent on 20H2 master image and select  Instant Clone.

All good!

Vms are available and user can connect to VDI!