VMware Horizon Community
nielsgeursen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

High latency ZeroClient towards Horizon View environment

Hi All,

At a customer they experiencing display lag and fuzzy text when scrolling trough text.

Environment overview:

Horizon View 7.4

Terradici ZeroClient FW version 5.5.1

VDI OS: Windows 7

Protocol: PCoIP

The customer upgraded their environment from Horizon View 6.3 towards Horizon View 7.4. Since then they are struggling with the above mentioned symptoms. On the ZeroClient session statistics I am seeing high round trip latency with a min: 4ms an avg: 21ms and a max: 53ms. They are connecting towards their datacenter via a leased VPN connection. Test show that the VPN connection doesn't have the high latency I am seeing on the ZeroClient.

We tested a lot of things to isolate the problem.

Direct connection towards the connections servers to see if the problem is connection server related or to see if load balancing is causing issues. We didn't any improvements and the problem still existed.

When doing a direct connection from a Fat Client (Win10, Horizon Client 4.8) we are not seeing the problem

So I am suspecting the ZeroClient.

However when connecting from the ZeroClient via the external URL so that the connection is setup via de security server I am not seeing the problemen any more.

Does anyone have an idea on how this is possible?

What is the difference in the connection between the security server and the connection servers? Is the security server creating an SSL tunnel towards the environment?

If you are missing any information please let me know.

All help is appreciated!

With kind regards,

Niels Geursen

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nielsgeursen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem seems to be solved.

The customer did an in-place upgrade of the environment without disabling the connection server. This caused that multiple files were in use during the upgrade and could not be replaced. This was also found in the log files.

We installed a new connection server and the high latency was gone.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Niels

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You are double encrypting the traffic by sending the already encrypted PCoIP traffic through a VPN which will add latency but that may not be your issue.

When you use the Horizon Client from a Windows 10 machine are you sure it's also using PCoIP like the zero client?

I'd rather deploy at least a pair of UAG (or if you must use Security servers) and just have the clients connect through the Internet connection instead of the VPN.

0 Kudos
nielsgeursen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi BenFB,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am sure that it is PCoIP. When checking the session in the Horizon Admin console display protocol says PCoIP.

I agree on the adding of encryption will add latency but the stang thing is that when connection via the same thinclient towards the security server the same line is used and than the latency is not there.

What we are thinking about is installing a pair of security servers on the inside without any two factor authentication and connect via de security servers instead of via the connection servers. I hope this workaround will overcome this problem.

I am really puzzled.

Regards,

Niels

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

If not you I would work with your network/security team to ensure the routing is the same for the security servers versus the connection servers. Are they the same connection servers that are paired to the security servers?

I would go with UAG instead of Security Servers as they will eventually replace them entirely.

0 Kudos
nielsgeursen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problem seems to be solved.

The customer did an in-place upgrade of the environment without disabling the connection server. This caused that multiple files were in use during the upgrade and could not be replaced. This was also found in the log files.

We installed a new connection server and the high latency was gone.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Niels

0 Kudos