VMware Horizon Community
zshani
Contributor
Contributor

Help needed:Deploying complete VDI Infr

I have downloaded the trial version of VDI infrastructre.

I want to built the complete VDI before actual deployment in production enviroment. I want to give user the fascility of using VM hosted in my datacentre. Can somebody point me to some docs which can help me in building the complete VDI. I have found some doc but it of VDM and Virtual Server nothing about there integration etc.

Anyhelp will b highly appreciated

0 Kudos
6 Replies
epping
Expert
Expert

Hi

There is nothing fancy about VDI, its just client OS installed in a VM. the more detailed part is how you manage connections to these vms... this is where a connection broker comes in and there are lots out there (including VDM from VMware), say if you want to use RDP to connect to the hosted desktops u can either connect from a thin client (Wyse,HP...) or from a full client i.e. a pc running windows OS

what are u trying to do?

0 Kudos
zshani
Contributor
Contributor

Infect the thing I am confused about is the placement of CB in the network.

It would be helpful if u can draw a diagram. Should one end of CB be on Live

IP.

My scenario is that my thin client users will connect to the VMs over the

internet. I have 5 Live IPs.

If you can tell me about the actual traffic flow then it be very helpful.

For example; when user connects it first go to CB which then send the

parameters of connection to the client , like the IP of VM then ??? Am I

right till yet ??

0 Kudos
dmshirkeyNMB
Contributor
Contributor

If you want your users to connect over the internet you will either want to forward the ports thru your firewall, not recommend, or use the VDM Security server. This is part of the install in the VDM software. All it basically does is establish the connection via internet and tunnel it to your CS.

Dmshirkey@nmb.us

If you need any help email me, I attended the Beta VDI Class.

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

i agree with dmshirkeyNMB

u dont want to expose your VMs IPs to the internet, you need SSL gateway to make the connection secure, VDM can offer this if you dont have another solution in place for SSL

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Here's is the visio diagram of VDI, get the picture and understand how it works and should read VDM guide as well as others admin guides. Basically, you have existing VI3 infrastructure running and deploy VDM servers and install client on the machines and connect to the VDM server and pick the pool of virtual machines that you've created and luanch it from there.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to the more appropiate VDM forum

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos