VMware Horizon Community
Osm3um
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hardware/software logistics?

I am looking for a more general overview of how others are using virtual desktops in the real world and not so much on the specifics. There are a number of complictation liek this listed below.

Thanks,

Bob

Currently I have two types of users: Workstations on the local network and laptops which are in the office and use remote access via VPN. I am looking at getting rid of the VPN, for numerous reasons, and going to "remote desktop" connections. My network is about 60 users.

The trouble I am having is the logistics of the hardware/software:

1. In order for the users to connect remotely they will need access to a laptop (if they are traveling for example). If the users will not be traveling they could use their home computers.

2. In the office the users could use a thin client with a monitor or the same laptop mentioned in 1.

3. The purchase of a thin client, with a monitor and a copy of Windows XP approaches the cost of a laptop.

4. To virtualize desktops would require a copy of Windows XP, whereas a laptop can be purchased with an OEM copy. (thus two copies of Windows XP).

5. One copy of Windows XP and two thin clients (home and office) and laptops users can check out for travel?

6. etc.

My question is: How are people handling these complications? Purchasing laptops with two copies of Windows XP? What about "MS Office" licensing? etc.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mreferre
Champion
Champion

Bob,

I think that if your customer is only looking at hardware / software acquisition costs than he/she 'd better go with standard laptops. Period.

At this point in time you would want to look into VDI if and only if you are ready to pay more upfront to lower your TCO. How much you will be able to lower it, break even points and all these things very much depend on the current situation and burdens they are experiencing.

Travelling users have always been a problem with VDI because of the reasons mentioned. At this point in time you CANNOT check out your vm (at least not out of the box with a given product - everything can be done though). In this situation you might consider giving them Laptop thin clients (they usually comes in XPe and Linux flavours) that usually are very felxible from an IP connectivity stand point (lan - wireless - gprs etc etc etc) and what they do is they connect to your centralized vm's. Obviously "no connectivity = black screen" so you need to understand well this limitation.

In terms of software licensing ...... it is even more complex. See this as a starting point:

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/virtualdesktop/2008/01/18/vmware-vdi-understanding-vecd-licensin...

Massimo.

Massimo Re Ferre' VMware vCloud Architect twitter.com/mreferre www.it20.info
0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert

Bob, it can be bit of a minefield.

Run your environment through the VDI TCO calculator as that will give you some ideas as to the real cost of not going VDI. http://www.vmware.com/products/vi/calculator.html

How many laptops are you considering? If you only need five in the pools it not such a problem. Or are you planning on buying a laptop for everyone!

Thin clients plus a windows license should be a lot less than a laptop. Unless you are buying some really expensive thin clients and a really cheap laptop. What thin clients are you looking at?

Do you already have desktops too? When do they need to be replaced? Can you reuse the monitors?

VDI is going to be an investment, the savings are in the TCO and the extra features/function you get. Its especially good if you are already running VMware for the server infrastructure.

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos