VMware Horizon Community
caryers
Contributor
Contributor

Hardware Load Balancers

We need to replace our legacy Cisco ACE hardware load-balancer devices with a new load-balancing solution for our View Environment.

Currently, we use the ACE devices to load balancer our two View Security Broker from the incoming external VDI connections. Ironically, I can only place 1 View server in the rotation for an extended time frame. If I keep both servers in the rotation, some 8 to 10 hours later once my VDI load gets close to ~150 users, I starting hearing about disconnects. Once I pull 1 View server out of the rotation, the disconnects instantly stops. Very perplexing and only occurs once the load get over 100 or so. This occurs regardless if I use "Stickiness" or not on the ACE config.

With that said, this solution needs to be replaced. My networking team is having a bake-off with a new hardware fail-over solution...F5, Barracuda and 1 other vendor within a week. Can anyone point me to any documentation about load-balancing the View Connection servers with regardless to the proper configurations the load-balancers should have such as using stickiness, etc. Does View work better with Unicast or Multicast, etc. Does View certify or prefer any particular vendor, etc?

Any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks, Scott

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi Scott. Most larger View installations in my geo is using F5:s. They have a lot of documentation and experience around that.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
vcpguy
Expert
Expert

Personally, I prefer to use F5. Here are few links that can answer your questions - VMware Horizon View | Build It | F5 Networks

In last year VMworld 2013, F5 gave a wonderful presentation about their F5 Load balancer. Also you can use F5 PCoIP Proxy and replace your security servers. Imagine no one-to-one mapping, no certificate issues... In 5 Minutes or Less - PCoIP Proxy for VMware Horizon View | Featured | F5 Networks

Hope this helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please don't forget to reward Points for helpful hints; answers; suggestions. My blog: http://vmwaredevotee.com
0 Kudos
cH1LL1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Caryers, you can purchase a F5 Lab licence which gives you access to pretty much all of the content, (some limited)

then install yourself a virtual appliance and get it working in a lab first.

single name space supported

cost £160  roughly (with support)

hope that helps

0 Kudos