VMware Horizon Community
GabrielMOB
Contributor
Contributor

HOW TO CONNECT TO A VDI USING RDP ON VMware Horizon Client ON A MAC

Hi all, thanks in advance for the help.

Due to contract constrains i need to connect to a VDI using VMware and RDP connection, but i have a MacBook Pro and the only options to connect is PCoIP and VMware Blast. But on Windows machine i can locate RDP on the same menu as well, so i need to know if i can do it, and if positive, how can i do it.

Thanks !

7 Replies
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Which versions of the Horizon Client for Mac and Horizon are you running?

GabrielMOB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I`m using the Horizon Client 4.9.0 to access the VDI.

I already installed the last version of RDP(10) from App Store, but I still don't have this option to connect on the Horizon client.

Thanks !!

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

4.9 doesn't support RDP anymore

System Requirements for Mac Clients

VMware Horizon Client 4.9 for Mac Release Notes

• Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac is no longer supported
    You can no longer use the Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac with Horizon Client for Mac.

looking at the release notes and other parts it looks like the newest versions of Microsoft remote desktop software stopped working  with the horizon client.

GabrielMOB
Contributor
Contributor

Yes you are right, sorry about that

I tried on the horizon client 4.8 also, and dont have the rdp option to connect, i was reading the documentation and looks like it is possible, but i`m not understanding how i can do it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GabrielMOB
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the old version of RDP (2.1.1) and now the horizon client have the option to connect through RDP, but when I try I get this error : "remote desktop connection cannot verify the identity of the computer that you want to connect to", this is weird, since using it on windows machine just work fine, maybe I need to do a additional configuration?

0 Kudos
BenFB
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This is one of a few known issues in the Horizon Client for Mac 4.8 release notes. VMware will likely completely remove RDP at some point so I think it would be best to switch to Blast or PCoIP. You can give the first workaround a try. If it's the second issue I would strongly advise against using the old Horizon Client due to security issues.

• If Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection for Mac version 2.1.1 is installed on the Mac client system and you use the RDP display protocol to connect to an RDS desktop hosted on Windows Server 2012, the following error message appears: Remote Desktop Connection cannot verify the identity of the computer that you want to connect to.

Workaround
    : Use Horizon Client for Mac 3.0 and select the PCoIP display protocol when you connect to the remote desktop. Note: If you are using a pre-3.0 version of Horizon Client for Mac, you cannot select the PCoIP display protocol.
0 Kudos
RPerry93650
Contributor
Contributor

How can you switch to Blast or PCoIP if this is a physical desktop and not a VDI vm?

0 Kudos