VMware Horizon Community
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Gui for ThinPrint from the Client side

Does anybody know if there is a GUI available for ThinPrint on the View Client side?

At present when the View Client installs, the settings it installs for ThinPrint are the default.  There are 2 important keys that are installed as part of this process which somebody kindly pointed out to me recently on this forum.  They are:

HKLM\Software\ThinPrint\Client\DefaultState - The default is set to 1 which will ensure that your default printer on your virtual desktop is the same as the default printer on your local desktop.  Setting to 0 allows you to change your default printer on the virtual desktop and keep that setting.

HKLM\Software\ThinPrint\Client\DefPrintState - The default is set to 1 which will ensure your local desktop printers (locally attached or network) are mapped via ThinPrint into your VDI session.  Setting this to 0 stops ThinPrint from mapping these printers.

Both these settings are very useful as the default settings can lead to issues depending on the use case.

Unfortunately since these settings are in HKLM, a user requires admin rights to change them.  Alternatively the View client could be pushed out with a transforms to change the default settings.  Both of these options are impracticle since a user may want to change them on the fly.

So the question is how is this possible?  Is there a .CPL available or some GUI available that would solve this problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From my understanding you can go both ways, local and AD group policy. Check this document out:

www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-ThinPrintGPOConfig-IG-EN.pdf

VMware View-ThinPrint; Basics

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If I understand your question correctly I would say yes. There is a GUI for ThinPrint. It is in either local or AD group policy depending upon where you install the TP DLL file. If you use local group policy then look under 'Computer Configuration' and then 'Software Settings. Note that you will have to first register the ThinPrint .DLL file in order to see this.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Here is a screen shot:

TP screenshot.jpg

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One more thing:

The DLL that you need to register is located on the View connection server in the following path:

Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\extras\GroupPolicyFiles\ThinPrint

The name of the file is:

TPVMGPoACmap.dll (32 bit and 64 bit versions available)

Hope this help.

0 Kudos
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick and detailed response.  Have found the DLL and registered successfully however this looks like a VDI side config, is that correct?  In other words should the DLL be registred in the virtual desktop and not where the View Client is installed?

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

From my understanding you can go both ways, local and AD group policy. Check this document out:

www.vmware.com/files/pdf/VMware-View-ThinPrintGPOConfig-IG-EN.pdf

VMware View-ThinPrint; Basics

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

One last thing. When you install a driver in ThinPrint make sure that you use the EXACT driver name, if not they it will not work. For this part I suggest that you do a copy and paste to get the driver name exactly as it appears. Also I suggest you closely read the links I sent. Good luck.

0 Kudos
kenhutchinson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for all the info.  Gonna work through it this week.  I think I have everything I need now so thanks again.

0 Kudos