VMware Horizon Community
praviview
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Google Chrome showing older version

Hello Team,

using Non-persistent pool and Google Chrome installed on the Golden image, last week I updated the google chrome to 103.XX version.

We are using AppVolume + writable, now few users are still showing the older version of Horizon in the VDI. 

Tried deleting Writable and DEM settings for the user, still same behavior. 

Praveen C
L3admins.com
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@praviview 

If you remove the AppVolumes, does it still show the old version?

I'm guessing there's an appvolume that also contains (an older version of) Chrome?

If you have Chrome on the base image of your packaging VM, make sure it's not updating Chrome while packaging new applications, because that will also be recorded into your package then.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
praviview
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Mickeybyte,

I have a Chrome Appstack also, but those Appstack are not assigned to all the users, issue observing for the user with no chrome Appstack attached. 

packaging machine not contains any chrome on it, and after updating chrome to latest version I have disabled the chrome auto update on the Golden image as well.

Praveen-

Praveen C
L3admins.com
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You still might want to test it without any appvolumes to see if the version is OK or not. This way you can exclude that AppVolumes is the problem.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

If you found this comment useful or an answer to your question, please mark as 'Solved' and/or click the 'Kudos' button, please ask follow-up questions if you have any.
0 Kudos
praviview
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

removed appvol agent from a test machine and tested with same gold image and I could see the correct version of chrome, now not sure how to get correct chrome version with appvol, any reg key or config change to make.

praviview_0-1658907659236.png

Praveen C
L3admins.com
0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Now you need to add them one by one, and see when the version changes again. If it does, you have found the AppStack that contains an older Chrome version.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

0 Kudos
praviview
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

in my test machine there is to Chrome Appstack attached and I removed the appvol agent here. If I move back to production my VDI which is assigned to me having only chrome installed on my Golden Image and there is no Appstack with chrome attached here. Theren in my prod system it showing the chrome version as 84. Seems like some where its caching the old chrome. dont know where it is.

Praveen C
L3admins.com
0 Kudos
Mickeybyte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Like I said, one of the assigned appstacks probably contains an older chrome version, so you have to find out which appstack. 

You might find it in the AppVolumes manager by looking at the applications that are detected on each appstack.

Or you assign the appvolumes one at a time at your user and test each time to see which one is the bad guy.

Regards,
Mickeybyte (ITPro blog)

0 Kudos