VMware Horizon Community
eGBabu
Contributor
Contributor

Get-DesktopVM Slow

Hi

I have 12 pools in View server. Enumerating the desktops using "Get-DesktopVM" for these pools seems very slow in a powershell script. I'm passing pool_id to Get-DesktopVM cmdlet as argument in a loop with list of pool ids. Is there any recommendations available / hotfix to speedup this enumeration? If the underlying vCenter is constrained on resources, will it affect this behavior?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

How long time does it take?

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
eGBabu
Contributor
Contributor

It is currently taking nearly 15 mins to enumerate the desktops (1500+ to 1800 Max).

0 Kudos
seanmassey
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

View uses LDAP as it's backend datastore, and it is possible to directly query that.

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CONTENT IS NOT SUPPORTED.  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND RUN IN A TEST ENVIRONMENT FIRST

Here is an example that I wrote last year to get all desktop VMs in a pool, It will connect to the View LDAP environment, search for all desktops in a specific pool, and verify that they're using the right snapshot.  Take out the snapshot part, and you can do an equivalent to Get-DesktopVM.

http://seanmassey.net/2013/09/27/finding-and-remediating-horizon-view-desktops-with-the-wrong-snapsh...

0 Kudos