VMware Horizon Community
adeleskie
Contributor
Contributor

Forcing a VM to always open on the same physical terminal regardless of user

I have a relatively strict requirement that I'm having some problems finding an elegant solution for.

I need to setup a pool of workstations that are persistant and are individually, permanently attached to a specific terminal. But, I can't restrict it to a single user account per terminal.

So if user 1 signs into terminal 1, they get desktop 1.

if user 1 signs into terminal 2, they get desktop 2.

if user 2 signs into terminal 1, they get desktop 1.

user 2 signs into terminal 2, they get desktop 2.

But if user 1 signs into a non point of sale terminal, say - terminal back room 1, they get their normal desktop or could be allocated differently.

I can't use individual sign ons per terminal. So no, signon1 for terminal 1, signon2 for terminal 2 and everyone uses signon1, signon2 etc...

The workstations are point of sale machines with credit/debit pinpads attached to them. The pin pad has specific ini settings so it can only be attached to the one workstation. We're working towards PCI compliance so I can't just attach a single user account to each workstation. Unless someone has a very solid case that says we can do that without breaking compliance.

The best solution I've heard so far, is to serve up all of the potential point of sales and have the user select the point of sale that they are currently at.

So user1 signs in, they see terminal1 - terminal10. They know they are at station 8 so they select station 8's desktop. This is semi reasonable, but I've got potentially 80 stations like this so it could get very ugly and I'm not sure how many stations you can actually assign to an individual.

I am currently a relatively happy esx and infrastructure customer. But, unfortunately, until I can get a reasonable resolution to some of these issues I don't think I'll be able to go to view.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
mnmorris
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not sure that there is a way to do what you want in view. But you can do it in with a 1 to 1 relationship of the terminal and the workstation. I have approx 60 configured this way now. Load a vm (XP, VIsta, or whatever you have) and point the terminal at that vm. No matter who logs on the POS term will away connect to the same VM.

0 Kudos