VMware Horizon Community
I3vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Floating Pool with an app that caches to the OS disk

I tried searching the forums but I can't seem to find the magic key words for my question.  I have a Junky access database/application that writes a cache of it's database to it's install directory on the OS disk.  (This app is installed directly to the OS disk C:\program files\....  )  When a user does something like try to run a report it pulls the full (Access) database down to a directory there in the C: drive.  That takes a little while to do the first time on a regular desktop, then subsequently it just copies down deltas and the next time the report module is snappy to open. On the floating View Desktop, it does the same thing until a logoff and/or recompose.  The next time the user logs in that cache is gone and the whole process has to start over.  Users pretty understandably get frustrated having to wait 3-5 minutes.

The only thing I can think of is copying down a version and including it in the image from time to time.  The problem there is that sometimes that cache has to be cleared and recreated.  I imagine that even if that application would cooperate with thinapp I would have the same problem.  Is there any other option than swapping back to dedicated? I really don't want to do that.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
I3vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm biting the bullet, just going to move them to full desktops.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
I3vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm biting the bullet, just going to move them to full desktops.

0 Kudos
JihemmeT
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

I'm sure you already tried it but what about ThinApp and the sandbox that may keep those files for each user ? They may be in his profile and thus, each new desktop may reuse them after the sync is done.

I3vmware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It was too late for that in this instance, angry users.  I'm not very versed in Thinapp yet, I was not aware of that ability so I will for sure try that out soon for the next round.  Thank you!

0 Kudos