VMware Horizon Community
dhung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to provision / publish a Windows desktop in Horizon Connection Server

I followed every step on the following web page to create a Windows 10 Enterprise VM and snapshot using vCenter:

Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware

Then I tried to provision/publish a Windows 10 Enterprise desktop in VMware Horizon 7 Connection Server, but got the following error:

Error during provisioning: Initial publish failed: Fault type is UNKNOWN_FAULT_FATAL - Internal Template: vm-632 customization appears to not have succeeded. State = error

How to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, cp-template will be joined to domain. You need to make sure that VM is getting the IP & DNS configuration.

You need to follow the below edoc to prevent cp-template from deleting automatically after the customization times out,

Troubleshooting Instant Clones in the Internal VM Debug Mode

Then login to VM and Browse to below location for logs:

%system_drive%\Windows\Temp\VMware\vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
agalliasistju
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Probably an issue with joining the domain and or getting an IP.  Do you see the new VMs in the Active Directory OU specified?

See the below pages:

Instant clones issues

VMware Knowledge Base

0 Kudos
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One of the reasons for this error could be VM did not get valid IP and the reason for that is parent VM had static IP configuration, you may have to change it to dynamic, take a new snapshot and then redeploy the pool.

0 Kudos
dhung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I was using instant clone.

Since I could not get the IP pool function of vCenter server working, I set up an external DHCP server to allocate IP addresses to the VMs.

When I tried to provision the Windows desktop pool in Horizon Connection Server, I saw in vCenter server that the "master VM" of the pool was cloned to a VM, with name "cp-template-xxxxxx". Afterward, the cloned VM was powered on.  I could connect to the "cp-template-xxxxxx" VM using VMware Remote Console, login and verify that the VM successfully obtained an IP address from the external DHCP server.  I saw that the "cp-template-xxxxxx" VM was restarted twice.  After that, the VM was up and running.  When the 600 second time limit was reached, the Connection Server powered off the VM and deleted it.  The Connection Server then display the error message, "... customization appears to not have succeeded. State = error".

Does the "cp-template-xxxxxx" VM need to join the domain?

Is there any log which I can find out what the problem was?

0 Kudos
Kishoreg5674
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes, cp-template will be joined to domain. You need to make sure that VM is getting the IP & DNS configuration.

You need to follow the below edoc to prevent cp-template from deleting automatically after the customization times out,

Troubleshooting Instant Clones in the Internal VM Debug Mode

Then login to VM and Browse to below location for logs:

%system_drive%\Windows\Temp\VMware\vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

After you join the parent image to the domain and you try again, it should create an ad object in the clones target ou that starts with it( they look like it1234523452), if not it have problems registering with AD. Also make sure you run ipconfig /release on your parent before you shut it down, this prevents problems with this process. If you can get into the cp template before it failes in C:\windows\TEMP\vmware there are VMware-view-composer logs, these are in both instant clones and linked clones. I think the current one is VMware-viewcomposer-ga-new, you may get hints on why its not working here. I've seen if you don't do ipconfig /release in the parent before you shut down, you will see it failing to connect to ad and then giving up afterward.

0 Kudos
dhung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I added the parameter cloneprep.debug.mode with value ON to the master VM, but the cp-template was still deleted by the Horizon Connection Server after the customization times out.

I am running:

- vSphere 6.5 Enterprise
- vCSA 6.5 Enterprise
- Horizon 7 Enterprise version 7.8.0

0 Kudos
vdi2777
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi dhung,

please make sure that the network you are trying to deploy the machines is available @all Hosts in the cluster. Also make sure there are available ip adresses in your subnet.

I hope that will help you a little bit.

Kind regards,

Markus

0 Kudos
dhung
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks to Kishoreg5674, I could stop the cp-template VM from deleting automatically after the customization times out, by setting the cloneprep.debug.mode parameter to ON.  I then logged in the VM and view its log file at %system_drive%\Windows\Temp\VMware\vmware-viewcomposer-ga-new.log.  I found out that it encountered some problems in joining the domain.  I fixed the problems, and the Windows desktop was successfully provisioned / published afterward.  I could connect to the VMs in the desktop pool using Horizon Client.

I encountered a new problem.  I could connect to the VMs in the desktop using RDP and PCoIP protocols without any problem.  However, if I choose VMware Blast protocol, the following error message was displayed in the Horizon Client:

The View agent reports that this desktop source is unable to accept connections. Please contact your system administrator.

I had checked that the VMware Blast service was running on the VM.  Is there any other place I can look into to troubleshoot this problem?

0 Kudos
blacksun1978
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you have to use windows 10 enterprise.

0 Kudos
ITshnik1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@dhung @Kishoreg5674 

Maybe you still remember what was your problem with adding to the domain? I have the same problem. The cp-template* virtual machine is not added to the domain and is deleted after some time. In the VM logs I see the error "The machine <VM-Name> attempted to join the domain domain.com but failed. The error code was 123". I found an article https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78907 but it did not help me. If manually add it to the domain before deleting cp-template*, then it is successfully added.

0 Kudos
ITshnik1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

my problem was solved by update connection server to 7.3.1 version from 7.0

0 Kudos